New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to change the icon that is displayed for a given device in the Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers window? Not the size, but the actual icon. Right-click, Properties doesn't provide for it.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does this Windows 7 - Control Panel - Change Default Icons give you what you are after - I believe it was originally constructed for the beta trial, but it appears it should work.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no go. I don't find an entry under the initial Control Panel screen as you suggest, at least in Windows 7 Home Premium, anyway.
    I assume it would appear in the "Appearance and Personalization" section, but it doesn't show up as a sub-heading anyplace in the Control Panel window.
    I went ahead and opened "Appearance and Personalization" and don't see it anyplace there.
    I did a search using Windows key, "default", and under Control Panel only see "Change the default printer", "Restore Start menu defaults", and "Set your default programs".
    Windows key, "icons", results in 6 entries under Control Panel: "Notification Area Icons", "Show of hide common icons on the desktop", "Customize icons on the taskbar", "Remove icons from the notification area...", "Show or hide inactive icons on the taskbar", and "Change device installation settings".

Hmmm, if you select the very last item in the list above, you get a window that starts out "Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?". That question would seem to say that the icon(s) for a given device are part of the driver package and (maybe) are not changeable.

PS - Windows key, "device" doesn't produce anything the looks helpful to me, but I won't go in to the details.