Thanks
    Can I continue to use IE8 as my default browser after downloading and installing Google Chrome or when I install Chrome will it take over as my default? Second, what add ons are recommended to adequately test Chrome? Thanks for you help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Can I continue to use IE8 as my default browser after downloading and installing Google Chrome or when I install Chrome will it take over as my default? Second, what add ons are recommended to adequately test Chrome? Thanks for you help.
    To be honest I can't remember whether Chrome tries to make itself the default browser, but even if it does, you can always change the default back to IE8 if you choose.

I'm very happy with Chrome and it's certainly my default now.

Add Ons ? Why would you want those?

Thanks
    I put Chrome on my 7 laptop today and when I went to use FF I got the warning that FF wasn't my default browser (but it had been) so I just changed it. I just opened IE and it asked the same thing about default so it's no problem. I haven't gotten to the add-ons yet.
    Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    I put Chrome on my 7 laptop today and when I went to use FF I got the warning that FF wasn't my default browser (but it had been) so I just changed it. I just opened IE and it asked the same thing about default so it's no problem. I haven't gotten to the add-ons yet.
    Hey Jude
    Thanks Hey I am considering trying it although so far I am happy with IE. Several years ago after I tried a diff. browser, all my favorites were changed and I had to manually go through them one at a time to get them back. That was a royal pain. I do not wish to do that again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have Chrome installed now. I suppose it may be quicker than IE although it is so close I really do not see an advantage. It appears that IE has more customization capabilities than Chrome. I am actually using Chrome as I write this. So far I do not see any advantage to Chrome and a possible disadvantage in the lack of customization. I will continue to experiment and follow up with an opinionated review when I have.

I have installed a few extensions which may help in customizing Chrome. One thing I've noticed is that the Forward/Back buttons do NOT have drop down menus to choose what page to go to. For example I have to click the Back button 3 times to move from this post to the menu in the lounge. With IE a drop down list opens so I can choose the Lounge menu in one click. Is there a way to change this in Chrome?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have installed a few extensions which may help in customizing Chrome. One thing I've noticed is that the Forward/Back buttons do NOT have drop down menus to choose what page to go to. For example I have to click the Back button 3 times to move from this post to the menu in the lounge. With IE a drop down list opens so I can choose the Lounge menu in one click. Is there a way to change this in Chrome?
    I have noticed that if you click the new tab X next to your current tab, you get a page which shows previous pages you have visited and that's how you can speed up accessing them. I just opened 6 tabs and closed it and now I have all 6 choices available. I hadn't used it much on my 7 laptop but I like it. Added in October is Web of Trust for Chrome which I really like. I'm typing from Chrome as well. If you go to the wrench on the far right of the navigation bar you find Options and you can import bookmarks from there if you missed it during the initial installation. I haven't had any problems with importing mine. You also can customize "under the hood" settings there. Just click New Tab and you can easily navigate between your open tabs. Also if you right click on the Chrome icon on your taskbar you have other options.
    Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted.

Click and HOLD the back button and you get the list of previous pages. Drag down to wherever and bingo.

Also check out the Chrome Help pages from the browser itself. There's tips and videos about all this basic stuff.

I've got IE8 set as my default browser, with Chrome sitting alongside no problemo.

While Chrome is faster than IE8, I don't like it's flakyness security-wise. See my other thread on this matter.

I'm using IE8 for anything email, ebay, or financial, and Chrome for general power-surfing.

Add-ons, schmadd-ons. Chrome was designed to be basic, simple, and fast. Like Usein Bolt.

Keep it lean. A lean, mean, surfing machine. I'm getting carried away with myself.

Cheers, Maghullyback.

Thanks
    I have IE as my default browser, am trying both Chrome and FF. I have added add ons to both to open with IE. It seems my password manager program (Last Pass) does not seem to work well with FF. I use Open with IE and all is well. I will try the suggestions listed above for Chrome. I believe I will continue with IE for financial uses. It will take a while to trust the others for these matter. I will continue my tests over time and hopefully post as I find things about both. Thanks all for the useful info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Chrome keeps crashing. Many times in the lat several minutes. Good bye Chrome. I had not made any changes in Chrome. Started crashing while trying to use a Contact Us on a web site I use all the time. Then crashed twice while I was trying to write this response. yes it's fast, but it seems unstable, at least to me. I will continue testing FF. I did have to set the Lounge to always open with IE even when using FF because my Last Pass does not work on this site with FF, not sure why because it does seem to work with all other sites. FF is nice in that it does give that option.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chrome keeps crashing. Many times in the lat several minutes. Good bye Chrome. I had not made any changes in Chrome. Started crashing while trying to use a Contact Us on a web site I use all the time. Then crashed twice while I was trying to write this response. yes it's fast, but it seems unstable, at least to me. I will continue testing FF. I did have to set the Lounge to always open with IE even when using FF because my Last Pass does not work on this site with FF, not sure why because it does seem to work with all other sites. FF is nice in that it does give that option.
    Try running Malwarebytes before you write off Chrome. I had a problem affecting Chrome and Mailwasher for most of last week that was solved by running Malwarebytes in safe mode.

Thanks
    Sorry, I do not have the patience or time to investigate why Chrome suddenly, with no changes what so ever, started to crash. I still have IE, which I am very happy with, and FF, which is showing lots of promise, so I will stick with these for now. Quite honestly I did not see that big of a difference with Chrome's speed, and when it started crashing unexpectedly, that convinced me. It had some nice features, all of which I can get from the other 2 with minor tweaks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I do not have the patience or time to investigate why Chrome suddenly, with no changes what so ever, started to crash. I still have IE, which I am very happy with, and FF, which is showing lots of promise, so I will stick with these for now. Quite honestly I did not see that big of a difference with Chrome's speed, and when it started crashing unexpectedly, that convinced me. It had some nice features, all of which I can get from the other 2 with minor tweaks.
    That's why I'm suggesting you run Malwarebytes. It may well be an infection rather than a problem with Chrome itself.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To make IE8 your default browser: Tools> Internet Options> Programs> Make Default

I have an old computer that I use for downloading music and stuff. It has a Celeron processor (way outdated).
    You wouldn't believe how slow IE8 is on the thing - but Chrome runs lightning fast.

I recommend Chrome for older, slower machines. I'm very pleased.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
    That's why I'm suggesting you run Malwarebytes. It may well be an infection rather than a problem with Chrome itself.
    I am very aware of security and very careful of my security, in fact I have been a strong advocate in other threads of stronger security. I have a squeeky clean system, totally updated. I very frequently run Spybot, Anti-malware and scan with MSE. There is not an infection on my PC. The problem if not with Chrome itself is a compatibility with my system, but either way I sent it packing and will stick with IE and FF.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scott v View Post
    To make IE8 your default browser: Tools> Internet Options> Programs> Make Default

I have an old computer that I use for downloading music and stuff. It has a Celeron processor (way outdated).
    You wouldn't believe how slow IE8 is on the thing - but Chrome runs lightning fast.

I recommend Chrome for older, slower machines. I'm very pleased.
    I do indeed know how to make either IE or FF my default. Both IE and FF are fast enough to satisfy my needs and then some.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted