New Lounger
    Thanks
    All of the machines in the house are running Win 7 ultimate except my laptop which is running Home Premium. For some strange reason, my laptop will not show up on the homegroup,but does show under network, but I can access the other machines from the laptop. The only time that the laptop showed up in the homegroup was before installing KIS 2010, now a Google search suggested changing the wireless adapter to 'Trusted Network' in KIS 2010, which everyone was saying will fix the issue. It did not. Now comes the really odd thing: I was attempting to run Windows Update and kept getting errors, so when I plugged the laptop into a network cable, suddenly the laptop is visible in the homegroup, only when plugged in to the network. Within 30 seconds of removing the network cable, the laptop disappears from the homegroup. Does anyone have any idea how/why this works? Now I have had to reinstall windows due to an error when activating it, and I decided to change things a little bit and did not install any AV/IS software on the laptop, and the laptop did not show in homegroup or network, however, I can access the laptop by using \\laptop name. I tried installing just MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) , which is just an A/V, but the laptop still did not show up, I have since installed Trend Micro Internet Security on the laptop, but still it does not show up in the network or homegroup, but I can access my desktop and the other systems, from my laptop! This is rapidly becoming a very annoying problem!!

Thanks
    Hi Jonathan, and welcome to the Lounge!

Make sure your network type is set on Home and not Public in the Network and Sharing center. If it is set on Public Network, click on it and change it to Home Network.

Have you tried the HomeGroup Troubleshooter on your laptop? You can access it by right clicking on HomeGroup in Windows 7 explorer and choosing Troubleshooter. This will help determine and attempt to fix anything on the HomeGroup configuration end. The troubleshooter will check many settings to ensure they are set correctly, and will point out any areas that need attention in a report.

Have you tried disabling for a just a few minutes the Windows Firewall to see if your laptop can be seen in the homegroup?

Are there any other Win7 computers in your homegroup that use wireless rather than Ethernet connections, and if so have you compared the wireless settings on those to the settings on the laptop having the wireless connection difficulty?

Were the errors you received on Windows Update wireless connection errors? Did you successfully try Windows Update when you were using the Ethernet rather than wireless?

You mentioned you had to reinstall Windows 7. Did you do a completely new install or a repair install?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for replying. Our home network does have one other desktop using wireless but her system works fine, and I have checked the settings and matched them. Windows firewall was not running due to Trend Micro Internet Security being installed (I did check). As far as windows update, the error was a numbered error, but I could not locate any help on it, but when I plugged the Ethernet cable in it ran with no trouble. I did a complete reinstall of windows, due to the activation key not working for some reason, but as soon as I reinstalled, it worked fine. I have ran the homegroup troubleshooter numerous times (on both systems), and it can only offer 'make sure that the computer you are trying to connect to is turned on' good old MS for such a worthless troubleshooter! My network was already set to home, so no change was required there. The part that annoys me the most is that I can not even see the laptop on the network without manually accessing it.

Thanks
    Check this setting. Go to Windows Explorer on your laptop. Right click on "Homegroups" and choose "Change Homegroup settings" and then make sure at least one of the Libraries shown is checked. Other computers in the homegroup will not see your laptop unless at least one Library is shared in this manner. You can however, see other computers in the homegroup from your laptop just as you described.

Let me know what you find.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That did not do anything and I already had libraries shared. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson View Post
    That did not do anything and I already had libraries shared. Any other ideas?
    OK, so we know that is not the problem. Every eliminated possibility is a step in the right direction. You also stated "I did a complete reinstall of windows, due to the activation key not working for some reason, but as soon as I reinstalled, it worked fine." So activation worked fine, but not the wireless after the complete reinstall of Windows?

Check the Wireless Connection Network Properties on the laptop to confirm that IPv6 is installed and the box checked. You should find it that way, but if not, install it and checkmark the box.

Were you earlier, and are you now able to connect to the internet with your laptop wireless? If so that would rule out a hardware or driver problem with your laptop's wireless.
    Check the Device Manager to see if it reports a problem with your wireless card. Also check the Event Viewer Windows Logs for any errors related to the wireless, or network services.

After you reinstalled Windows, the Windows Firewall should have been functioning by default before you installed the Trend Micro Security Suite.Therefore if Windows Firewall was active at that time, it is possible a firewall setting was affecting the connection. After installing Trend Micro the Windows Firewall would normally be disabled by TM. Try disabling the Trend Micro firewall, and then check services to be sure the Windows Firewall is still disabled. What I am getting at is to test your laptop's connection ability to the homegroup with all firewalls disabled just to see if the problem is caused by a firewall setting.

If after confirming both firewalls disabled you still cannot see the other computers in the homegroup, then checking for a hardware issue would be the next step. Try to download and install an updated wireless driver from the wireless manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer. If that does not help then it is possible the wireless card in the laptop has given up the ghost.

Let us know what develops. If none of the above helps then hopefully another Lounger will have some insights. Changing out the wireless card should be the absolute last step after all other possibilities have been addressed.
    Deadeye81