New Lounger
    Thanks
    Few weeks ago bought a quad-core ZT machine that came with win 7 home premium 64 bit OS and a 1.5T HD. Have been very happy with the unit, and have seen some 3 or 4 updates at shutdown with the usual banner "Please do not power off or unplug your computer; installing update 1 of X." So, would happily head to bed and could hear the unit shut down in five minutes or so.

Not so last evening (Fri, Feb 26). Saw the update screen at 11 pm, and still there as of 10 am this morning. Yes, can see some sporadic hard disk activity, and the spinning cursor.

Any idea what may be happening, and more importantly how can I break out of the update, bring to a place where I can continue my work?

BTW, have two other Win 7 systems that did not have the update last evening: a netbook running home premium 32bit, and a Dell desktop running win 7 ultimate. All three are on a home win 7 network.

Appreciate any insights.....

Thanks
    Which update?
    A power cycle ought to do it, and then reinstal the update.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No idea. One of those automatic updates that always shows up with a shield on the shut-down button. When you click to shut down, the "updating 1 of X" screen is displayed, and most often will update and then shut down the machine in a few. This update was sometime Friday, Feb 26th.

So, I'm not doing any damage by hitting the power button and then simply allowing the desktop unit to reinstall ? I'm asking as I am unaware if Win 7 simply stops the update and starts over again, or if there is damage done to the OS, or shudder...my data.

Thanks
    It looks like something has interfered with the instalation of this patch, now it could be malware, a stray program that
    didn't get shut down properly, or whatever.

I'd hit the reset button on the case first before a power cycle, sorry my bad.

I don't believe it's that patch that was making a buzz with BSODs, that one predates 2/26. So you shouln't
    have a catastrophic failure. You do have an image to restore in that event, yes??

There seems to be alot of ppl as of late having problems with their automatic updates.
    One that I can think of, and can't understand why people do this, is place
    automatic updates to download instead of merely notify. You get far more contol if
    Microsoft has less. You decide when to update. you decide when to boot. Think about it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.... will trust less, control more....