Thanks
    Here's another Windows 7 strange thing

My Laptop has a 160 GB HDD

When it had Vista on it that was the size it reported.

Under windows 7, everything reports fine, and files appears to be reported at the correct size.

BUT when I look at Properties of the Drive itself it reports 451 GB for C:\ and 14.6GB for Recovery Partition D:\

[attachment=88226:CExtraLarge.jpg] [attachment=88227ExtraLarge.jpg]

It would appear that it is reporting these drives approx 3 x their actual size.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before,
    and know what causes it, because everything appears to be functioning correctly other than that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew

Thanks
    The extensive use of "hard links" in W7 and Vista may have something to do with this.
    We have covered this in other threads as well. Do a simple google search for Hardlinks
    will yield some info.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Interesting that it only appears to effect this one Laptop.
    The Main PC running Windows 7 has 2 drives, one partitioned into 2 x 150GB the other 200Gb
    All report correctly
    There are 2 other Acer laptops both with 160 GB drives running windows 7 and these 2 both report correctly.
    Maybe it is just a DELL thing

I did have a Google of Hardlinks and a lot of other stuff, but for the life of me I cannot find anything
    that explains Drive Size being reported as 3 x actual size.

Maybe I am googling the wrong thing, or just not willing to read the 1000's of hits.
    Andrew

Thanks
    I think you've hit a bug somewhere, I'd not trust a drive that fed this info to the OS.

Thanks
    It was fine until I upgraded to Windows 7 (before it had Vista Ultimate).

At some point I will rebuild it and see what happens.
    But for now I am going to leave it as it is and just make sure it is backed up on a regular basis

Might try a Scandisk and also a Defrag and see what happens
    Andrew

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The Used Space is reported as being larger than your stated size of the drive itself. I would be curious to know if the proportions appear to be correct. You are looking at a pie chart: if you ignore the numbers does the slice look to be to the right size? The power of diagrams is that you can forget numbers and see at a glance what you want to know. That isn't much consolation if you can't trust the data, but isolating the numbers as something that is clearly wrong is a big step toward getting an answer from someone (at Microsoft, for example).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What size does Disk Management (right-click Computer, select Manage, look under Storage) report?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Never never use the upgrade option, I know it's easier but I have seen countless things being weird on people doing upgrade. Bite the bullet and install like a fresh copy, you can do that even with an upgrade disk.

Whats even stranger since we know Windows has never reported correct size for a disk is yours 3X, that is weird

Thanks
    You can also try to determone actual size from a boot disk.
    Something is obviously amiss, maybe a boot repair will resolve this.

It looks to me like you have alot of duplicate files and folders, I can't think of or imagine
    any other possible scenario. If your super ambitious, and I mean really ambitious, you could
    go through every folder and examine the content directly. Make sure you are enabled to view all hidden
    folders and file extentions. Your winSxS folder may even contain duplicated hardlinks of both Vista and W7.
    Anyway you choose to resolve this your going to be spending a considerable amount of time sorting through this
    be it a fresh clean instal or the above suggestion.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.