3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hello everyone. I have an associate who has dual monitors and work and the same at home. He hasn't tried to RDP into work from home, but we're both curious what he should expect with regards to whether or not his dual monitor setup at home will simply mimic his dual monitor setup at the office. I've read up on RDP and multiple monitors but everything I've found talks about if you have dual monitors on one end and a single monitor on the other end. Any thoughts or personal experience that can be shared?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as dual monitors on the other end of RDP, it depends on the RDP software in use. Some will give a choice of which to display, UltraVNC defaulted to showing both scaled down to fit on one screen and Windows RD displayed just the primary remote monitor up until, I think, the latest version (for Win7 but it is being back-ported) which has some options for multiple monitor support. Not sure about the server side but it probably all goes on one screen unless the monitors are in extended or spanned mode; unless the RDP is really nifty and flexible enough to map one for one if dual monitors are detected on both sides.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Byron. That's basically what I've found to be the case as well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To span multiple local monitors using remote desktop, which is built into XP, so doesn't need any additional software to be installed., you need to use the /span switch from the run command, type mstsc /span, then enter the IP address of the destination PC, your local monitors must be the same height and span vertically. (e.g. 1280 x 1024 + 1680 x 1024). The multiple monitors of the destination machine are not critical. The destination PC must be XP Pro (not home) and have allow remote desktop connection enabled (it's off by default). Give it a try.