Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Mail Merge Data Source
    Have an excel file with headings in Row 1.
    All records in following rows contain simply 0's and 1's imported from .csv files (resulting from "save data only from forms" from Word users)

Mail Merge Main document
    Have inserted fields into required locations through out Main Doc, ( which appear as a list one below the other)
    The merge works fine but ....

TWO PROBLEMS
    I don't want 0's and 1's to appear in the main doc, If there is a "1" (meaning yes to that question in the form) I want to insert the label from the Heading in Row 1 of my excel Data Source file; and
    If there is a 0, I don't want to leave a blank space showing in the Main letter, instead I want to skip the field.

Normally in mail merge, I know that if there is no result in a field, ie. no company name in an address layout; the result is blank and the next field, ie. address line, moves up. I have played around with the merge fields if...then... else and can get the headings to show up, but if the result is "0" it still leaves the blank row in my letter in the list.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    [attachment=88229:testMain.docx][attachment=88228:testData.xlsx]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Many thanks for any help, much appreciated.
    Have a great day!
    WebMistress

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If this is a "one-time" project, then I would simply edit the Excel workbook and replace the 1's in each column by the label in Row 1, and replace the zeros by an empty cell. However if it is an ongoing process that needs to be repeated on a regular basis, then I would modify your main document to use an IF field. The result would look something like this:
    { IF { MERGEFIELD Accounts_Payable } = 1 "Accounts Payable" "" }
    To insert that statememt, on the Mailings tab on the Ribbon, click the Rules drop-down and choose IF - Word will do the rest. Let us know if you get stuck.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi WendellB,
    Many thanks for your suggestion and I have used your code with some success. Unfortunately, if the result is "0" or in otherwords does not equal "1", there is still a blank paragraph marker outside the field brackets, which therefore leaves a blank line on the page. ie:

Accounts Payable

Banking
    Payroll

There is a field in between accounts payable & banking, and one after Payroll.

I have tried the skip if, but can't seem to make that work? the blank paragraph is still showing?

Thanks for your time.
    WebMistress
    Many thanks for any help, much appreciated.
    Have a great day!
    WebMistress

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by webmistress View Post
    Unfortunately, if the result is "0" or in otherwords does not equal "1", there is still a blank paragraph marker outside the field brackets, which therefore leaves a blank line on the page.
    Try this: place the line breaks inside the field code, and have no spaces at all between the end (closing curly brace) of one {IF} and the beginning (opening curly brace) of the next.