New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found a number of posts around the Net regarding slow file deleting/copying with both Vista and Windows 7. But I haven't seen any real solutions. I am talking about copying files from a memory card with a card reader to the hard drive or even between hard drives. I copied about 2 gigs of files from a memory card yesterday and it took 40 minutes. Also when I try to delete files from the trashbin, that takes forever too. (sometimes i don't want to just empty the trashbin but even emptying can take a long time). It spends a long time telling me how long it will take to delete the files and then takes a long time to delete.
    and I am not talking huge files either. Less than 1 meg. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles White View Post
    I have found a number of posts around the Net regarding slow file deleting/copying with both Vista and Windows 7. But I haven't seen any real solutions. I am talking about copying files from a memory card with a card reader to the hard drive or even between hard drives. I copied about 2 gigs of files from a memory card yesterday and it took 40 minutes. Also when I try to delete files from the trashbin, that takes forever too. (sometimes i don't want to just empty the trashbin but even emptying can take a long time). It spends a long time telling me how long it will take to delete the files and then takes a long time to delete.
    and I am not talking huge files either. Less than 1 meg. Any thoughts?

Hi Charles and welcome

What is the card formatted as? that is an exceptionally long time to copy so little. are all your drivers for that updated? I transfer 8 gigs from a card to an eide driver in under 4 mins.

Good Luck

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The bus/read speed could be slow for some reason. Buggy software or simultaneous access can also slow it way down. Many small files will take longer than a couple big ones but it would have to be thousands of really small files to cause a lot of slowdown. I have an old flash drive that totters along at 768 k/bits a second that works fine for mp3s but it would take about 40 minutes to transfer a full drive's worth of data.

So there are some possible reasons for the slow activity but as to which it might be, if any (could also be a hardware fault that renegotiates the speed), is hard to say.