New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am about to get a new laptop with 64-bit Windows 7. Because the Windows Recyle Bin only saves some deleted files, I've been using Executive Software's Undelete on my machines. For a 64-bit OS, I'd need to buy a new version.

Before I do, can someone tell me: Has MS improved the operation of the Recycle Bin under Win 7 to save all deleted files? Or is it the same halfway solution it's always been?

Thanks!
    Roth

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You can set the maximum size, you can opt to delete files without moving them to the Recycle Bin, and you can Display delete confirmation dialog. One thing you will find is that many third-party programs (e.g. CCleaner) will offer to add options to the list.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing you have to realize is that the recycle bin is an artifact of Explorer. If you ask Explorer to delete a file, it will place the file into the recycle bin (given that the file is not overly large, in which case it warns you that it will delete it, and that you have not turned the recycle bin feature off). If you "delete" a file via some other application it is up to that application to offer the ability to place the file in the recycle bin. Most applications, the command prompt included, do not provide such a feature. Thus you might want to either ensure you have a decent backup scheme or obtain an "undelete" utility.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my opinion, relying on the Recycle Bin or an undelete utility for anything is not a sound strategy unless its only a tiny percentage of a full backup and sycronization strategy. For instance, once or twice a year I'll accidently click on the Delete context menu selection instead of the Rename, and I go retrieve the file immeadiately. Other than that, and maybe in one or two other very simple senarios, the Bin and undelete programs should have no relevance; even if they did work in all situations.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    One thing you have to realize is that the recycle bin is an artifact of Explorer. If you ask Explorer to delete a file, it will place the file into the recycle bin (given that the file is not overly large, in which case it warns you that it will delete it, and that you have not turned the recycle bin feature off). If you "delete" a file via some other application it is up to that application to offer the ability to place the file in the recycle bin. Most applications, the command prompt included, do not provide such a feature. Thus you might want to either ensure you have a decent backup scheme or obtain an "undelete" utility.
    That explains it. Though I do back up periodically and use RAID 1 to protect against disk crashes, I am looking for something better than the Recycle Bin. I'll check out Undelete again and any competitors I find.

Undelete replaces the Recycle Bin with a bin that saves *all* files deleted, no matter how. If anyone knows of another such program, please post.

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth View Post
    That explains it. Though I do back up periodically and use RAID 1 to protect against disk crashes, I am looking for something better than the Recycle Bin. I'll check out Undelete again and any competitors I find.

Undelete replaces the Recycle Bin with a bin that saves *all* files deleted, no matter how. If anyone knows of another such program, please post.

Thanks to all who have responded so far.
    careful with undelete. sometimes it recovers fragments that are of little or no use.
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've only occasionally deleted wrong file but I also remove recycle from desktop where I don't accidentally dump it. I just go to explorer and restore. Once a week I'll take a look and empty.
    99.9999999 % if I delete then I don't need it.

I don't need any software to manage that. A usb harddisk and a .cmd file using robocopy helps insure I am keeping what I need.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    careful with undelete. sometimes it recovers fragments that are of little or no use.
    You're right, nothing is perfect. I've used Undelete for many years at work, and it's been pretty good, especially for files deleted after it's installed. I've never had one of those turn out bad. As you said, when recovering from disk (not its recovery bin), it sometimes recovers fragments.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    In my opinion, relying on the Recycle Bin or an undelete utility for anything is not a sound strategy unless its only a tiny percentage of a full backup and sycronization strategy.
    Of course! Undelete is very handy if you delete the wrong file between backups. Undelete is also much faster than restoring a file from a backup.