New Lounger
    Thanks
    G'day,
    I really appreciate the advice found in Post 769206, especially about replication. I tried it once and didn't like it!
    I have failed, for about four years to adequately solve a similar problem.
    The database is in MSAccess 2003 because I use the security feature that has been dropped in 2007. The database is approximately three megabytes and contains names, addresses and other grouping information. My only practical solution until now is to permit updates on one pc only, and to pass the data database to the other pc's via a USB memory stick.
    There are 6 regular users, who would make updates once or twice a week. Two of these users own Mac's and currently are forced to use the master pc!
    We also want to give write access to the 250 people whose names are stored in the database so they can check and update their own personal details, say twice a year.
    I am considering two solutions, one for the 6 active users and another for the 250 members.
    LogMeIn seems to have possibilities for the 6 users. We currently have a suitable server available on the web.
    Sharepoint may be a suitable solution for the 250 users. What do you think?
    This is a very similar problem to that described in post 769206L except in scale.
    I thank you for your answers.
    Terry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To really be helpful, we will need a bit more information about your situation. Do your 6 regular users only work remotely, or are they sometimes on the LAN, and sometimes working remotely? I presume the 250 are connecting remotely via the Internet - are they currently able to work with the database? Also, how is Access User Security being used? Is it restricting some users to only selected data? If you are going to allow the 250 to update their own data only, you will need to layer some additional user login facilities on top of what is already there. Access User Security has some upper limits in the number of userIDs that can be supported.

Regarding Sharepoint, as I understand the situation, the user interface with Access 2003 isn't very robust, and it requires a server-class PC to implement. With the forthcoming Office 2010, there is a much improved situation, and it might well meet your needs, but it still means implementing a server solution. I hope this generates some further dialog, as I am not currently working with Sharepoint.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Wendl.

One user is one the lan with a laptop, a second is on the lan with a desktop, the third user is on the lan with a Mac!
    Two other users are remote with desktops and one is remote with a Mac.
    The 250 planned remote users are not currently able to access their data.

I have started to write a login form for use in Access 2007, since I shall need to use the .accdb file format if I ever get to running on Sharepoint, and cannot run user security with the new format. I currently restrict the functionality of some of the six users by code in the load function of each form.

I think the 250 users can be managed with a single Sharepoint screen on the web, connected to the same .accdb data file. I shall have to handle the login inside the Sharepoint application for them.

I have had days of frustration and no real success trying to run Access 2002 with Microsoft's Free Sharepoint site. I have now loaded a 30 day trial from Apptix:- [url="http://www.sharepointsite.net/"]which is working fine so far. Microsoft Small Business free site is not allowed in Australia and fpweb FREE SHAREPOINT WEB SITE is not currently working.

How am I doing so far? I shall keep this thred up to date in the hope that others can benefit from an Aussie's blood sweat and tears! We don't only play cricket over here!
    Regards, Terry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I didn't write that I have been successful by converting to Access 2007. I do not believe that 2002 works at all!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mccer View Post
    I think the 250 users can be managed with a single Sharepoint screen on the web, connected to the same .accdb data file. I shall have to handle the login inside the Sharepoint application for them.
    If you are going to use SharePoint you should investigate using a SharePoint list instead of Access.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mccer View Post
    ... How am I doing so far? I shall keep this thred up to date in the hope that others can benefit from an Aussie's blood sweat and tears! We don't only play cricket over here!
    Regards, Terry
    It sounds like you are well beyond me if you've got Sharepoint to work. And I am interested in how you fare - we currently run a website for several hundred people to connect and submit updates that has taken a good many hours of that blood, sweat and tears to create and maintain. Sharepoint might be a feasible alternative down the road. And yes, though on my first visit down under, I promptly found a cricket game paused for tea! And then there is Assie Rules, rughby, pub stints, etc. (My daughter-in-law is from Melbourne environs.)
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Another option you might want to look at for the 250 is the Access 2007 new feature that supports Data Collection via email .
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a classic subject for an Access 2010 hybrid application.

You Should be able to download the Beta of Access 2010 from MS. I'd suggest running it in a VM. (MS's Virtual PC application is free). This will keep the Beta Version of Office from affecting your current OS or applications.

With Access web services you can create a small application to the web to allow the 250 to update their own data. This is a new feature of Access 2010.

You can currently host an Access Web application along with the database (it's converted to a sharepoint list when you publish it) at http://accesshosting.com . This is available free for developers to test out 2010 apps.

Then you can wirte a standard Access desktop application and use the new replication to synch the whole lot together. I haven't tried it but I'm told that access handles the replication nicely.

Then you can find buckets more info on this at http://blogs.msdn.co...s/default.aspx. There is even a link to an article on using Access on a Mac.

A great example of an Access 2010 web app is Albert Kallal's Calendar app you can see this demo'd at http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AU4mH0jPntI

Check it all out, it might just be what you need.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kentg View Post
    You can currently host an Access Web application along with the database (it's converted to a sharepoint list when you publish it) at http://accesshosting.com. This is available free for developers to test out 2010 apps.
    The link for accesshosting needs an edit. The period after com gets picked up and throws an error. I toyed with Sharepoint and 2007 last year very briefly. I found the conversion to Sharepoint lists not too difficult, but the performance hit to the rather complex database was huge compared to network-based logging in to the backend and terminal services. Changing a record was a 10-15 second wait over the web versus virtually instantaneous for the network based version (backend frontend).

Another web-based possibility, particularly if the application is straightforward is to look at ASP pages accessing the Access database which is stored on a web server. I played around with an application a few years ago and used ASPMaker. It was a volunteer effort and I ran out of time as the database was a little complicated. Again, if info isn't too complex then this might be a possiblity.

Peter N

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your time and effort replying to my post!

John Hutchison. What a fantastic idea for solving the 250! I have just finished studying "Data Collection via email" and it represents far less work on my part than building a Sharepoint application. In fact I have, in the past, considered trying to write a similar system myself, but this is done, it is standard and it does exactly what I need. Thank you!

kentg. Thank you for suggesting VM. I tried that once before but was unsuccessful. Recently, I made my pc dual boot and put my Offoce 2007 in the second boot. It is convenient because I have several partitions shared by both system which makes it easy to tranfer my development files. However, the system needs a re-boot to transfer from one to the other.
    I may have another look at VM, thanks.
    I'll look through all of your other information in the next few days. It sounds very interesting!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    Another option you might want to look at for the 250 is the Access 2007 new feature that supports Data Collection via email .
    How much do you know about this John?

Can you design a continuous form which shows multiple fields that are read only and one field that is to be altered/entered by the recipient?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Patt

I know very little about this - I have not used it at all.

But I have just looked in Help under "collect data" and found this:

[attachment=88244:readonly.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    Hi Patt

I know very little about this - I have not used it at all.

But I have just looked in Help under "collect data" and found this:

[attachment=88244:readonly.gif]
    Thanks John, I will investigate further.

I have noticed that under external data/collect data that Create email is greyed out, any ideas anyone? Do I need to download something to make this available?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it is just greyed out when the current context is not appropriate for it.
    So for me it is greyed out when I am looking at a Menu form, but becomes enabled when I am looking at a table.
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patt View Post
    Thanks John, I will investigate further.

I have noticed that under external data/collect data that Create email is greyed out, any ideas anyone? Do I need to download something to make this available?
    Solved this, i had to hightlight a table or query first, then the button becomes available. Silly me.