5 Star Lounger
    Hi there,

I'm currently running Windows XP Pro with two Dell monitors.

Can anybody tell me what I'll need, in both hardware and software, if I want to add an additional monitor?

(I don't believe that my current video card supports three monitors.)

Thanks so much.

4 Star Lounger
    Chichester, UK
    Usually, you need a specific graphics card that supports more than two monitors - not always but in most cases. Search for a quad head graphics card.

You may also be able to run four monitors if you have an SLI motherboard. Fit two dual display graphics cards but without the SLI option. It may be tricky to set up.

Personally, I'd do it the easy way with something like the nVidia Quadro NVS range - but they are pricey.

Albox, Almeria, Spain
    Depending on your system, you may be able to add a second graphics card for another monitor. It doesn't have to be the same type as the current one. Even back in Win98 days Windows could support multiple graphics cards and multiple monitors.

2 Star Lounger
    Midwest USA
    The OS will handle a lot of monitors, IIRC it was nine in Win 98SE. I've done several monitors several times, and the trick is your motherboard and available slots.

Right now I'm running a (Win7) desktop with a dual-head card plus the integrated adapter on the motherboard, total of three displays. The main two displays are the good stuff, the integrated adapter/display normally shows Win Explorer or my browser...low-end stuff. Point being, they don't all have to be the same.

Does your Dell have an unused port on the motherboard? Might need to switch it on in BIOS, but that could be a quick route to three.

So if there is no third port, the question is, do you have free slots, and what kind? If you want high-end video on all three monitors your options may be limited by available slots. Can you add another PCIe x4 card in there? (Do they make PCIe x1 video adapters??)

If you plan to use the third screen for the browser or Win Explorer or Photoshop palettes, then any recent PCI video adapter should do the trick. Terry is right, not all PCI adapters can tolerate others, but anything built in the last five+ years should work.