Lounger
    Thanks

How can I Combine different Access Databases (Access 97)

How can I combine different Access Databases with similar information?

I have four independent databases containing information that I would like to pull together, either in a report or into a new linked database. The fields are named differently and are different sizes but contain similar information. Three needed fields would be:

NAME
    DATE
    NUMBER
    Other fields to be added if possible. I tried to pull them together in a report but there is a Join mistype. There are no relationships between the databases, and although the number would be the relationship, it cannot be established. Any ideas would be appreciated. My first inclination was to set up an ID for the number but in removing the number already there, it would mess up the macros, modules, queries, and reports. Thanks for any help, in advance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How can I Combine different Access Databases (Access 97)

Let's assume you started with a "clean" database. You could create links to each of the 4 tables, 1 in each of the other databases. To bring them together in one report would require a UNION query, not a Join. A union query essentially says: take info from 1st table, then append to it the information from the 2nd table, etc. No relationship among the tables is required (or even expected).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

I have not tried that yet, but will it matter that the fields are not named the same? I was under the impression that you could use a UNION query if the fields were the same? In my databases Last Name for instance is saved as LNAME, CL NAME, LASTNAME, NAME. Will this create a problem? I will try it after this post. Thanks again for the help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

No, the fields don't have to have the same names, but you have to select them in the same order.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.