2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coming from Win XP and just loaded 7 on what will become my main desktop system.

I'm seeing an odd behavior with Win 7's Windows Explorer. I'm using the left pane to drill down through folders. But all too often when I click the triangle or double-click the folder to expand it, that folder jumps way up or down in the window. Most often the folder I expanded ends up as the last one in the bottom of the window. This is really annoying, having to scroll so often just to navigate.

Is this normal, or is there a setting to change this?

I also miss--very much--the lines that connected the folder hierarchy...they're still present in REGEDIT but were removed in Win Explorer.

Thanks....first post and hopefully not my last.

-John O

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oliphant View Post
    Coming from Win XP and just loaded 7 on what will become my main desktop system.

I'm seeing an odd behavior with Win 7's Windows Explorer. I'm using the left pane to drill down through folders. But all too often when I click the triangle or double-click the folder to expand it, that folder jumps way up or down in the window. Most often the folder I expanded ends up as the last one in the bottom of the window. This is really annoying, having to scroll so often just to navigate.

I also miss--very much--the lines that connected the folder hierarchy...they're still present in REGEDIT but were removed in Win Explorer.

-John O

Hi John and welcome

Thats normal behavior and I havent found a cure as of yet.. I hope someone has a workaround. I had to give up on the lines. There isnt even any google references to them.

Good Luck and welcome aboard

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My biggest gripe also the Win Explorer thing jumping.

Tweak if you haven't already
    Open Win Explorer, Organize, Folder and Search Options, at bottom check both boxes
    Show All Folders
    Automatically Expand to Current

Would like to find out how to Disable it showing my User account in there, Sometimes when you open it expands that to fill up screen. Yes I know I have all the stupid stuff for me disabled like Hide everything, hide extensions(Stupid - can't tell if you clicking on a .cmd, .vbs or a .txt) like I was an idiot but thats the main place I operate is in Win Explorer. Nope don't want no Addon either, I'll figure the mess out like I have done every other win version back to 3.11

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw somewhere on a web site hosted by Microsoft to get feedback from the Windows 7 beta program that people have been complaining about this "feature" since the Beta came out last year. It is the biggest gripe I have about Windows 7. It is as much of a pain as Vista's loss of drag-and-drop functionality from Explorer to the Command Prompt. And I suspect that Microsoft will do nothing to fix this.

A side-effect of this "feature" is that when you open a browse-to-folder dialog, the default selected folder is way off the bottom of the dialog.

I wonder what genius at Microsoft thought that this behavior incorporated good user interface design?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. This really reeks of a bug, the more I play with it it just feels broken...I can't see how this behavior is supposed to be intentional.

Anyway, thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Thanks guys. This really reeks of a bug, the more I play with it it just feels broken...I can't see how this behavior is supposed to be intentional.
    In lieu of the lines in the left pane you'll need to get used to the breadcrumbs in the address bar.

[attachment=88237:Capture.PNG]

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Breadcrumbs would be ok 'cept if the window gets too short or if one jumps in from somewhere via shortcut, the whole pathway is not displayed, which is very problematic using networks and duplicated syncronization locations; but then if one clicks in the window, the full path is revealed but then all one can do is basically copy the address because its not clickable. It defaults back to breadcrumb view then but it sure would be nice and ever so convenient if it were just combined to begin with--Full path clickable breadcrumb trail at all times.

What MS did was emphasize index search and threw Libraries in and de-emphasized heirarchical pathways, I guess thinking not enough people think like that so they need an easier method of navigation. I hate using search since I know where 99% of the stuff is that I use 99% of the time but I've been forced to use it more because pathways and system shortcut links are not as clearly followed or keep landing on a more neutral location instead of going right to the property I want to get at.

It all still works well enough after a fashion but for me its just not as efficient by a long shot and that's my main beef. I suppose for folks who never know where anything is, indexed search is a much better option.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On my Win7 Pro, the breadcrumbs can be "toasted" by clicking on the little down-arrow thingy at the right of the bar where the crumbs are displayed. I then get a replacement bar with the full path displayed in the usual way.

This doesn't help the loss of the lines problem but it may be of use.

Thanks

-John O

Yes, definitely the most irritating behavior I have encountered with the W7 explorer.
    I've got tons of music folders and when I click arrow it goes straight to the bottom. I believe it is a bug and I have not
    been able to get to anykind of resolution. But this behavior isn't consistant though, sometimes it's just fine.
    I'm a hard core explorer user and it's my primary means of getting around.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    In lieu of the lines in the left pane you'll need to get used to the breadcrumbs in the address bar.

[attachment=88237:Capture.PNG]

Joe
    Thanks, we'll give this a go. Just gotto get used to doing it this way though.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm joining in on the Explorer complaints. This is very irritating. I can't believe that all of the jumping around is by design, (I guess you can't be sure with MS). In reference to Byron's post, MS is trying to copy the MAC style of navigation. I don't know any MAC users that actually know where anything is located--they just throw everything on the desktop. I think Windows Explorer is the best feature that MS has ever developed. Also, one major complaint is that MS has done away with the explorer view in Media Player. I think 10 was the last version to have that functionality and you can't install that version on Win 7, (as far as I know). MS is shooting themselves in the foot. I don't use Media Player any more.

Hope the Explorer problem gets fixed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got so frustrated by Win Explorer as a file manager that I decided to stop using it. I now use xplorer2 from www.zabkat.com. It' s not freeware but it's well worth the money and there are versions for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.

AlexB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find by using my simple click the checkboxes above
    When I click on a folder with massive sub folders, I click a Sub folder in it then it becomes a child of Main on left pane and nothing blew up and jumped. Now the tricky part is I click back on Main folder on left and then selected another folder to open and it also becomes a child of first on left pane and nothing blew up and jumped. Extra steps I guess but better than before. Expand that main on left then the party and jumping begins