Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel won' t launch (2000)

I have a client who can't launch Excel... he gets an error that says "Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed." This is not when he's trying to open a document, just launch the application.

However, if he logs onto the Win2K machine as Administrator instead of his username, Excel launches and runs just fine. All other Office programs work just fine under either name.

I looked in Knowledge Base but all articles referring to this error talk about it occurring while opening or saving workbooks, not launching the application itself...and don't seem to apply.

This started happening after his machine was moved to a different domain. Is there the Excel file that stores some sort of username/domain info, or maybe a key in the Registry?

Thanks!
    Sue

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel won' t launch (2000)

Have your client check all the files in the XLStart directory (in Excell 2000 it varies depending on the user - check the Application Data subfolder of the windows directory (I don't know the Win2k name, but it's WINNT for NT or just Windows for 95/98/Me).
    There may be a corrupt file or some other problem with files in the startup directory. The best thing would be to move all the files to an alternate location and reintroduce them one by one until you find one that causes the problem.

If that does not help try

Start, Run and enter the following command : excel.exe /regserver

Andrew C

Thanks

Re: Excel won' t launch (2000)

I'd talk to the admin about the users permissions. Is the user having trouble running any other software?

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile