New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to all,

I'm the part-time admin for a 30-PCs network : Windows 2003 Server (SP2 ) with AD
    - all workstations are Windows XP SP3, logons through AD

We've been using for 2 years BitDefender's networked antivirus

Now it's time for renewal, and I feel we lost too many hours tinkering with this software :
    - when it works, it's OK, but...
    - very cumbersome deployment of new versions- plan on 2 workdays -
    - problems on workstations popping out of nowhere :
    a functional PC at J would stop it's firewall at J+1,
    worse, start scanning server's files by loosing it's settings !
    - Server console NOT reporting 'deviant' workstations : have to detect from symptoms reported by users

In search for a new networked AV, I have read a bunch software reports,
    but could only find single-PC AV evaluations,
    I can understand that, since one has to fly a network AV for a few month before knowing the ( often sad ) truth

Before Bitdefender, I have administred Symantec's, and this one is definitely ruled out..

Has any of the loungers a recommendation,
    or a link to a thorough comparison of networked AVs ?

Thanks in advance

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    We've been using Sunbelt - Vipre Enterprise for a year or so. It seems to be working well. Pretty easy to administer. Not terrible expensive and they have a competitive upgrade offer.

Note: There is a brand new release that now has two flavors. Be sure to check the feature list to see which you prefer.

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've used a few and I like Panda and Trend. I would avoid McAfee unless you have lots of spare time to tinker.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks to you both,

I'll give a look to these sites...

Any lounger using Avira network version ?
    I've been using single-Pc version on my own laptop for 1 year, and I'm happy with it
    - actually using Avira to double scan some hard disks : put them in a usb cradle, and check from *my* Windows -

PS oh, and a last gripe vs Bitdefender : w've been infected on a few workstations by the stupid 'USB key boot virus' scheme :
    BD did report infection at central console, but if BD could detect these, why didn't it stopped them in the first place ?

Marc

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should always turn off Autorun on all USB devices and CDs - use group policy or edit the registry direct. And educate your users to scan before running things.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, you are absolutely right !

I have now propagated a .reg key to disable such autoruns, alas *after* the damn thing bite us a few times

Btw, I cannot understand how this low-tech attack, reminiscent of good old diskette times
    had not blocked at first, be it by Windows or by our AV suite ???

Poor users had nothing to do : just plug the USB key from our partners, and voilà !
    2 hour's disinfection for your admin...

Now, I have to educate them on :
    " how-to install manually technical reference CDs we use ..."
    and why it doesn't work automagically anymore

Cheers
    Marc

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I cannot understand how this low-tech attack not blocked by Windows or by our AV suite
    Microsoft mistakenly wanted to make things easy for us.
    AV vendors have no such excuse!

For those interested, intructions to turn off AutoRun.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I run a small home network and just drafted an older pc to run WHS. Thought it might be a good idea to start messing with windows server and use some of the server capabilities on my home networkl

Loaded it just fine, got a WHS book for Dummies (actually, its Woody's book!), and Im on my way. Got it on the server, and thats where I stopped. No free av product that I can find runs on it.

This really rubs me the wrong way, but most of the nasties should be kept out on that machine by my hardware firewall, for now at least casue Im not using it for anything yet. I simply didnt know, being a novice on Server, that I couldnt use MSSE or another freebie as my av product.

Heres the question: Do I really need an av product on WHS? If so, how can I keep the cost down - translated to free if at all possible? This is a really small operation, about 6 systems on it (4 windows - one dual boots to ubuntu, 1 WHS, an older system running solaris 10 on x86) and I cant afford shelling out $300 or more for a 'corporate' av product to get protection on the whs server. Ill shut down the server if I have to do that and do manual backups using Kenworthy's duplicator to external usb drives.

What about sw firewalls? Any free ones out there worth a darn that work on WHS?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WmGoat View Post
    I run a small home network and just drafted an older pc to run WHS. Thought it might be a good idea to start messing with windows server and use some of the server capabilities on my home networkl

Loaded it just fine, got a WHS book for Dummies (actually, its Woody's book!), and Im on my way. Got it on the server, and thats where I stopped. No free av product that I can find runs on it.
    You can check out avast! Windows Home Server Edition. It is $39.95 USD for a 1 year subscription. There is also WHSClamAV | Home Server Plus which is free but not very mature. There are others if you search around.

I don't know of any firewall programs for WHS. Most comments I've seen say people just use the Windows Firewall.

WHS is significantly different that a plain Windows Server installation. The current WHS is built on top of Windows Server 2003 and hides much of the complexity of server management. It also hides some of the capabilities in Windows Server. You should become familiar with WHS enthusiast sites such as MediaSmartServer.net — The Windows Home Server Enthusiast Community and those listed in it blog roll on the lower right.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You can check out avast! Windows Home Server Edition. It is $39.95 USD for a 1 year subscription. There is also WHSClamAV | Home Server Plus which is free but not very mature. There are others if you search around.

I don't know of any firewall programs for WHS. Most comments I've seen say people just use the Windows Firewall.

WHS is significantly different that a plain Windows Server installation. The current WHS is built on top of Windows Server 2003 and hides much of the complexity of server management. It also hides some of the capabilities in Windows Server. You should become familiar with WHS enthusiast sites such as MediaSmartServer.net — The Windows Home Server Enthusiast Community and those listed in it blog roll on the lower right.

Joe
    so its your opinion that an AV product is needed? I ran through that book twice and didnt seen any place where its even discussed. I found some stuff in it about client health, but nothing that talked about a best practice to have an AV product on a machine running WHS.

I guess I need to be sold on te validity of installing an AV product on this box. Im not planning to hanging the server out on the net for Remote Desktop access, I have an ftp server on one of my windows boxes that I use to share to the outside. The only contact I should have to the net for this box will be to MS via automated Updates. Im thinking that my home firewall should protect me as long as I dont use the browser.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WmGoat View Post
    so its your opinion that an AV product is needed? I ran through that book twice and didnt seen any place where its even discussed. I found some stuff in it about client health, but nothing that talked about a best practice to have an AV product on a machine running WHS.
    I did not mean to imply that I think an AV product is required on WHS. It depends on your usage situation. Since it appears that your WHS will not have direct contact with the outside world I'd say you don't need it. If you check some of the WHS enthusiast sites you'll find a difference of opinion. My feeling is that if you are saving files onto a PC that has an AV product installed and then copying or moving the file to a WHS machine an AV product on the WHS machine is redundant.

Sorry for the confusion.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would recommend Kaspersky's corporate antivirus. I had deployed it two years back and it's running fine on all my workstations without giving any problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sanix and all

I've installed a trial version of Trend on 1 server + 1 workstation :
    (+) for a few day's testdrive, sonuds like it has low-impact on performance, easy to install,
    manageable from everywhere - on this version, the admin console is in the cloud
    (-) on the minus side : user cannot shutdown the firewall for a pause :
    this could prove disqualifying for our use -
    when users are on the go, using 3G communications
    they had to switch off BitDefender's firewall : but then maybe Trend's firewall will allow 3G - which I'd rather approve-

For thise interested, I've found an independant org in Austria, which does AV comparatives, including corporate products
    ( alas no mention of Trend in there, but very thorough work for other products )

http://www.av-comparatives.org/compa...porate-reviews

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We are installing a new server with MS Server 2008 R2. This platform is new to me so I am a bit of a newby here. I was looking into installing Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would it suffice for our AV protection? I was also looking into MSE 2.0 as an option but I am not sure yet if it will work on this platform. Any thoughts?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We use Forefront and it seems to be good, but you also need a spam blocker, either on the server or before the server. We actually have a belts and braces approach and use a spam filter / virus scanner in front of Exchange.

cheers, Paul