Thread: .Doc Extension

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On my sisters PC (Windows Vista) and in het Email program (Windows Live Mail) she received an attachment with extension ".doc". However she cannot open this document in the Email program because she doesn't have the Word software but Works on her PC. The extension doesn't exist in mapoptions and now I wonder how to include this extension so that I can attach the program Works to it. Then she is able to open the document directly in the Email program.
    Did I make myself clear and anybody with an answer ??
    Theo

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The question is usually asked the other way round: How do I open a Works file (.wps) in Word, for which Microsoft provides converters.

Suggest to the sender that s/he send the attachment to your sister in .rtf (rich text format) format.
    Or suggest to your sister that she gets a copy of Office 2007 Home and Student. Works is a significantly lame product.
    Or downloads the Office 10 Beta.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo van Rijen 110 View Post
    On my sisters PC (Windows Vista) and in het Email program (Windows Live Mail) she received an attachment with extension ".doc". However she cannot open this document in the Email program because she doesn't have the Word software but Works on her PC. The extension doesn't exist in mapoptions and now I wonder how to include this extension so that I can attach the program Works to it. Then she is able to open the document directly in the Email program.
    Did I make myself clear and anybody with an answer ??
    You can install the free Download details: Word Viewer and Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And never forget to transfer and save a doc file to a temporary folder and then scan it for viruses before opening it unless one is 100% sure of the source and content and relavancy (its refered to specifically and non-generically in the body of the email).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have downloaded the 'Download details' and will try this out the next time I will get on my sister's PC.
    And of course I will be carefull with viruses.
    Thanks for your comments and regards.
    Theo