Lounger
    Thanks
    don't know if this has been already published here, but I have been running the beta of W7. It expired yesterday. I went to the store to buy W7 and inadvertently got the upgrade for Vista and XP. I did the full reinstall after backing up the data. I registered with and it is running flawlessly...

Thanks
    Sweet, you saved yourself a few bucks.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is one of the allowable upgrade license paths (though it must be a clean install as the OS upgrade path is not compatible) since the thought is that XP or Vista was probably on the computer before 7 Beta, the number of enthusiast-built systems starting out with 7 Beta being insignificant.

Plus, the upgrade price is actually the retail price, proven by the fact that either MS should not be allowing the OEM to sell to the public, or it certainly should not cost less than an upgrade since it is a full OS license for one computer. When one examines the pricing structure it becomes rather obvious that the full retail versions are MSRP only, and there to make it look like $184 for the Win 7 Pro upgrade is a good price.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, as long as your had a legal copy of XP or Vista on your machine before you installed the Win7 beta, then you are legally in the clear. The upgrade allows a clean install, which is in my opinion the only sane way to upgrade from one version of an OS to another.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That is the route, clean install after you back up your data. Then restore your data - worked like a charm. It was purely accidental - I thought I was buying the full version of Home Premium...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran in 64 bit mode with the beta and loved it. Screaming fast in the Home Premium OS as well. Installs programs really fast. Love it. I am currently running Win2kpro, XP home, XP Pro and Vista 32 on various other computers in the house so when I say I love W7 and its really fast in 64 bit mode well - you know...

Thanks
    JohnQ, If you thinks it's fast now, try a few of the tips and tricks shown here. I speeded all 3 of my personal installations with just a few of these.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it when I'm on my wifes computer...

Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked on the Microsoft site and the upgrade from the RC to Home Premium is $119 which is what I paid for the upgrade that I bought - so actually I didn't save anything. I really wasn't trying to save anything except my marriage since my wife was freaking out that the message started saying the RC was going to turn off LOL...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
    I checked on the Microsoft site and the upgrade from the RC to Home Premium is $119 which is what I paid for the upgrade that I bought - so actually I didn't save anything. I really wasn't trying to save anything except my marriage since my wife was freaking out that the message started saying the RC was going to turn off LOL...

You save money because you do not have to buy the full install edition, but just the upgrade edition.

Yes, it's the little things that makes marriage successful. I find that "Yes Dear!" works great.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Yes, it's the little things that makes marriage successful. I find that "Yes Dear!" works great.
    Especially when you actually mean leave me alone