Thread: Partition Copy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I have a hard disk with a copy of Win 7 Home Premium - Trial Status - with a whole load of software set up. Now I want to role it our on my network. Easy - just copy the partition onto the new hardrive and install in the relevant computer. Worked with MSDOS,win95,win98,win2k and XP. Never went to Vista...

Doesn't want to play ball. I get error messages saying new hardware may be causing a problem. Repair the system. It won't. What's the solution, and please don't tell me i need to install on every computer - It's taken a month to get this right - and I've got 5 more PCs /Laptops to do...

Win 7 is good but this is a pain

Tom

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what you was using with previous OS cause I know windows will not install to different hardware, never has. Is this a creation that you want to run from a drive
    Or maybe I really don't know what your saying, forgive me been up all night.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To clarify

I have brand new drives to install in the existing kit. Will copy the data from the systems old drive once I've sorted out the new setup. SO, once the drive will boot up, I can install any drivers that are necessary and away we go.;

As I said this has always worked in the past. But not with win7 - at least not yet. There must be a way of overcoming this problem. Anyone any ideas ?

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chambers View Post
    I have a hard disk with a copy of Win 7 Home Premium - Trial Status - with a whole load of software set up. Now I want to role it our on my network. Easy - just copy the partition onto the new hardrive and install in the relevant computer. Worked with MSDOS,win95,win98,win2k and XP. Never went to Vista...

Doesn't want to play ball. I get error messages saying new hardware may be causing a problem. Repair the system. It won't. What's the solution, and please don't tell me i need to install on every computer - It's taken a month to get this right - and I've got 5 more PCs /Laptops to do...
    If you are deploying the same image to multiple PCs you ought to be using the Windows® AIK for Windows® 7. See Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7 Readme. Also, see Desktop Deployment for detailed information about desktop deployment.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hi

Win 7 is good but this is a pain

Tom

Tom Hi and welcome

When you install win 7 it creeates a "guid" a globally unique identifier. Any time you change a piece of hardware that GUID isnt the same. It is one way that MS can make OEM versions, and make you reactivate whenever there is a major hardware change.

I dont know if you will have to install on the other 5 but you might want to ry leaing the HD on the original computer and making it a share on the network. I suspect you are going to have trouble

Good luck

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Acronis will restore to different PC's with different hardware, be my only thought cause I don't understand what he has done at all. None of the previous Win OS's would install to different hardware

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    veegertx...I've used drive images on different motherboards and the results vary by OS.

In Win 95/98 it was a mess but the New Hardware Wizard would eventually find most everything and install proper drivers.

In Win 2k it wouldn't work at all, IIRC. Same with NT4.

Win XP was much like 98. If the OS could launch--then it would run wizards for quite a while and reboot a lot. I wouldn't use such a machine for serious work, but for basic operation and training it worked well enough.

Have never tried Vista or 7.

-John O

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    To clarify

I have brand new drives to install in the existing kit. Will copy the data from the systems old drive once I've sorted out the new setup. SO, once the drive will boot up, I can install any drivers that are necessary and away we go.;

As I said this has always worked in the past. But not with win7 - at least not yet. There must be a way of overcoming this problem. Anyone any ideas ?
    You might also want to read Newsletter #88: XP to Win 7 Migration, The Easy Way.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It does work well in a network of extremely similar or identical computer configurations. I think its pretty impressive to have gone this long without a fail. I eventually built to 100% success rate by replacing the IDE controller driver with a generic one but since SATA was introduced, the percentage is not so good again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I allways got the hardware errors and gave up

There is a way with WAIK but its 1.5GB and massive Then I think you sysprep the machine, can copy all Drivers into a drivers folder where it will laydown on the target drive
    Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7

Edit
    There is also Unattended methods covered more in depth here but requires copy dvd to a folder on drive and start adding stuff.
    http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/167-...server-2008r2/

Edit2
    Building a Standard Image of Windows 7 Step-by-Step Guide