Thread: Disk Management

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Windows 7 disk mgr does not permit creating logical or extended partitions while 3rd party partition mgrs do. It appears that you can only create primary partitions using the Win 7 mgr.If you create an extended partition and logicals with 3rd party pgms they do appear in Win 7 mgr. within a green border but you cannot really manage them except with 3rd party pgms which are more user friendly!.
    Is this the way the win 7 mgr is designed or did they forget something?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From what I gleen from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...disk-partition , which probably pertains to Seven as well, the fourth partition will be created as an extended partition. I haven't tested this since I haven't had a need for 4 or more partitions on any one drive lately.

Thanks
    Window disk mgr & backup and restore are pretty basic. If MS made them fully functional they'd probably end up getting sued for it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Window disk mgr & backup and restore are pretty basic. If MS made them fully functional they'd probably end up getting sued for it.
    I agree. Because MS has enormous market share with everything they do, whenever they attempt to do more for us (i.e. back up, disk manager, MSE) other companies acuse them of inappropriate behavior. Yes they do leave most of these apps in a basic format. The shining exception to this is MSE. This seems to be a full featured, very good AV and AM app that is free. Go figure. it seems MS is listening to it's users and developing apps we can really use. I can't wait until the basic apps are further developed to be more full featured.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for comments however Windows XP had all the required commands, you should not have to create 4 unneeded partitions to get an extended part. The Win 7 mgr is very poorly designed or they forgot something!

Thanks
    As we stated, it's very basic!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you should not have to create 4 unneeded partitions to get an extended part.
    And yet there is no need (and extended partitions are more problematic or rule-governed than primary partitions) for an extended partition until the fourth.

I tend to agree though that the partitioning available natively is more on the broken side than the basic side. I see no excuse not to move so called un-moveable sectors that are blocking a proper shink command. To me its broken when a 465 gig partition with 35 gigs of data on it can only be shrunk less than about 20% (in my case), not basic, because I just have to use some other software to get the job done anyway. If that feature wasn't available to begin with, THEN it would be basic.

Thanks
    I'm finding that I don't use or need partitions as much as I used to now that hard drives are fairly cheap
    and there are ample SATA ports on the main board to satisfy all my storage needs.

And with the X58 boards you can get up to Eight or more SATA. That is more than enough space to have
    just a fast 150 or 300 GB 10,000 rpm primary drive exclusively for an os or two while preserving the rest for storage.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.