3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am really frustrated with this and hope that someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I believe the problem is associated with the installation of drivers and software for an HP 6100 All-In-One printer/scanner/fax. I have had this printer for years and have had to periodically reinstall the drivers/software (usually to scan something). I have the original CD with the software on it and I have used that in the past to reinstall software when needed. I have also downloaded the latest drivers from the HP site. On occasion, when installing off of the HP site, things don't seem to fully finish and then, whenever the PC is restarted, the first thing to pop up is a Windows Installer box that keeps asking for some obscure CD to be put in (not an HP CD).

I have done uninstalls and reinstalls over the years. Sometimes I have gotten rid of the startup install routine, sometimes not. This is one of the "not" times. Even with the software uninstalled, the system is still trying to install something. I did a Regedit search on "start" to see if I could find something there that triggers an install at startup, but no joy. I have looked in all of the startup folders I know of, but don't see anything out of place.

So, I turn to the experts. Anybody have any ideas?

Douglas

Thanks
    --I've had HP printers for years, and also had many reinstalls. HP makes good printers with lousy software that keeps getting corrupted.

--When the popup box asks for a disk, is it looking for maybe the Word or Office disk? Try to re-create this for me.

--You said "when installing off of the HP site,". Do you save the installation file to your HD, then install, or do you run it from the little download box?

--Next time you have to uninstall, try RevoUninstaller, which will squeeze out every last drop of the original install, including every registry entry. Then reinstall.
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Douglas, I would try cleaning the system. You can go to www.filehippo.com and download CCleaner, then I would let CC clean up all of my temp files, and the registry. CC also has an uninstaller in it. Once you are able to clean up all the references to your progam, then try a clean install. Leoinnj

Thanks
    One method where I've had results from was to instal only the drivers from each component by using the
    device manager to selectively search for drivers directly from the CD, not a full CD or Software download instal.

Get the drivers instaled, then worry about the software, or in HP's case, possibly junkware.
    with the added complexity of an all-in-one printer try to instal each driver and device separately.

...And definitely use the CCleaner
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.