New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've encountered a problem in regard to transfer of jpg files from a camera Compact Flash hard drive to computer hard disk.

When I transfer these in Windows 7 using the CF drive and plugging it directly into the media slot on the computer, and then copying files from the CF drive to the computer, out of 25 files I end up with around 10 that are corrupt (by this I mean they have funny colors, bottom and top of picture are misaligned, etc...)

However, if I take the exact same CF drive and do the exact same process on an XP machine, every picture comes across flawlessly.

I noticed this problem started when I purchased my desktop machine that ran Vista 32 (and I have since upgraded to Windows 7).

I view the pictures in Irfanview, but have tried other viewers and results are the same.

Any suggestions what I might try to resolve this issue or what might be causing this?

Has anyone else experienced a like problem?

Thanks,

hgmicroware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not experienced this problem but I have heard of it fairly often, especially in another forum I used to frequent. Indeed it was at its height of discussion during the dark days of Vista. This is the first I've heard of it happening in 7 (but it could be just as problematic for all I know) and it might be interesting to know if a third party program like Picasa or any of the photo editing downloaders gave the same result when the card was connected directly.

In any case, using a transfer method that doesn't corrupt the images and checking each image after transfer and before any original source is deleted is critical.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Howard,

I've just copied 390 photos from the wife's camera without any noticeable problems. If anyone can explain how to get her to download them to her PC occaisionally I would be grateful.

Back to the subject. My laptop is setup to dual boot with Vista and Win 7 Ultimate installed. I recently did a Microsoft Win 7 course. According to the instructor, technically Win 7 is a huge service pack to Vista, so some of the problems may carry over. They recommended a fresh install of 7. Did you upgrade or do a fresh install?

I copied the photos using the camera connected to the USB cable. I copied them twice using Windows Explorer copy and paste and Picassa's copy function. Non of the photos in either folder showed any apparent flaws.

You may have already tried these, but here are my suggestions:

1. Have you tried connecting the camera using a USB cable, to rule out a CF reader problem. If you haven't got a cable, can you borrow another CF reader?
    2. Have you looked for an updated Windows 7 driver for your CF reader. If it downloaded some photos properly it's doubtful it's a driver problem but it's worth a shot.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Dave.