New Lounger
    Thanks
    Twice in the last week I have received emails from Yahoo accounts of people I know that contained dubious links but no other message and no subject line. I checked the headers and they seemed normal, as if the mails did come from the correct account. The headers even said that the domain keys were correct. Neither person sent them and both ran virus and malware checks on their systems that came out clean.

I haven't been able to find any info about yahoo email accounts being hacked and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if there was any idea about what is going on?

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By default, given the way the internet currently works, there's no easy proof-positive way of recognizing that an incoming email *really* came from Uncle Joe. If there were, SPAM wouldn't exist. There are a few things you can do though.
    - set up and use spam (or junk) filtering... it's not difficult and definitely worth the effort.
    - if you're running a business, establish a policy where key emails are electronically "signed" (sounds more complicated than it is).
    - when you send email to a group of people, instead of "To:" use "BCC:" ... that way, if your email is received as "Undisclosed Recipients". If that email gets forwarded on, all those addresses aren't getting disclosed as it travels to parts unknown, and getting added (or used) on someone's spam list.

Both of the above are built into most of today's email programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Although those are all good suggestions, none of them apply here. Spam filters wouldn't have worked, as these messages came FROM actual Yahoo accounts, had proper headers, domain keys, etc. This also happened to someone I know with a Hotmail account. Whether these individuals had protected THEMSELVES or not, I don't know.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this happen to me with my Yahoo email account. I suddenly noticed emails being sent out which I had not sent. I notified all my contacts not to open these types of emails from me while I figured out what was going on.

I contacted yahoo and they confirmed that my account was compromised and that I should change the password. Once I did that, the spamming was stopped.