2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Adobe Acrobat Pro, which I like a lot. Unfortunately, Adobe Acrobat, which I don't like at all, is also bouncing around in my system and the way it keeps popping up and trying to update itself is annoying.

Can I live without it and make Adobe Acrobat Pro the default for things like opening pdfs in web sites and the like? Or is it the universal recipient for web sites?

If removing it is possible, how do I do it?

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to get Acrobat Pro to open to my designated default directory. It insists on going to the factory-set default.

Thanks.

Neal

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Neal

Sorry you haven't had any replies to your question as yet. Hopefully someone will jump in here but perhaps you might like to further explain what version numbers of these two applications you have installed.

I am not an expert in Adobe Acrobat but I am having trouble working out the difference between your two programs. Is the second program the free Reader application or the cheaper paid version? If it is the paid version - why did you install two versions?

Based on the problem you describe (which I don't fully understand), I would recommend you either:
    • Uninstall the version you don't like using. If it breaks the good version, then reinstall that one.
    • Do some google research to investigate changing the default file association for PDF files. Try a search for "change file association PDF" on google or google groups. At the very least, you might get a feel for some terminology that better describes your exact problem.
    • Look at an Acrobat centric forum. This particular forum hasn't initiated any immediate answers so you might need to look further afield for Acrobat experts. Try PlanetPDF or Adobe's Acrobat User Forum

In terms of your default directory problem, this thread on the adobe forum looks relevant http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/a...ic.php?id=3738
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I hope my question didn't sound like whining. Usually the response is so quick and thorough, I was concerned that I might have posted my question in the wrong group.

It's Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 (paid version) and whatever version of Acrobat Reader (free) that my web browsers insist on installing. I never voluntarily installed Acrobat Reader.

I will check out Google and the Adobe-centric sites (sounds sorta like a rock group).

Cheers.

Neal

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked these settings? (screenshots attached) You can tell Reader to not automatically update/install.

The first setting is under 'Edit | Preferences'. The second setting is under 'Help | Check for Updates'.

Or, just uninstall Reader all together. In Windows XP it is 'Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs'. I believe in Vista it's 'Control Panel | Programs and Features' to get to the list.

It does not get installed automatically, it just seems like it does because in some circumstances, if you miss that one tiny little (practically hidden) checkbox while you're installing something else, you end up with Reader.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images