Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: IE8 vs. Firefox

  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have been using IE for a number of years and have now upgraded to IE8. I have had good luck with IE. Now I am looking at Firefox because I read all kinds of good reviews. However, after using Firefox for a couple of weeks, I do not see any advantage over IE8. What am I missing?

    WSH

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SOB_1939 View Post
    I have been using IE for a number of years and have now upgraded to IE8. I have had good luck with IE. Now I am looking at Firefox because I read all kinds of good reviews. However, after using Firefox for a couple of weeks, I do not see any advantage over IE8. What am I missing?
    As with the vast majority of people, you are not missing anything.

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SOB_1939 View Post
    However, after using Firefox for a couple of weeks, I do not see any advantage over IE8.
    Do both browsers do everything you need? In that case, flip a coin.

    If you find you have an itch that IE can't scratch, then look at Firefox add-ons for a possible solution. For example, I use the NoScript extension to control scripts and plugins on a site-by-site basis because I have to visit so many questionable sites as part of my job. It gives me an extra level of comfort about security, but it's not for everyone. The web development tools also are excellent, but if you aren't interested in poking under the covers of web sites, that probably isn't important for you.

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    I am in the same boat. I have used IE (version 8 now) for years and just switched to FF as my default. I found I did not like the little hidden pop ups in IE8 when your cursor passes over one. These little pop ups are ads that I do not wish to see, but could not figure out how to shut off. With FF, this is not a problem anymore. I have read that both are comprable in security. I use IE View add on for FF for those few pages that do not render properly in FF. I have also added Multirow Toolbars, FEBE Backups, and AdBlock Plus add ons. So far I am pleased with FF and this one small problem with IE8 was driving me nuts. I did not like these little pop ups while trying to read an article in IE8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    As with the vast majority of people, you are not missing anything.

    Joe
    I would have to disagree as you have much more control with Firefox if you take advantage of the add-ons. Also, with IE of any version you are stuck with whatever MS wants to do instead of having an open source community with fresh ideas not tied to the bottom line.

    The only use I have for IE is Windows or Office updates as they are not compatible with FF. Hmm, wonder why that is.

    Opera is also an excellent browser on the same level with FF.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Karl View Post
    I would have to disagree as you have much more control with Firefox if you take advantage of the add-ons. Also, with IE of any version you are stuck with whatever MS wants to do instead of having an open source community with fresh ideas not tied to the bottom line.

    The only use I have for IE is Windows or Office updates as they are not compatible with FF. Hmm, wonder why that is.

    Opera is also an excellent browser on the same level with FF.
    That is your choice. There are add-ons available for IE too.

    IMO, the vast majority of users do not care about FF, FF's add-ons, or any other browser and its supposed superiority. All they care about is that when the launch the browser they get to the sites they want. Most just want a tool that works. Many tech people, both developers and enthusiasts (myself included), often fail to recognize this. We get wrapped up in technology for technology sake.

    Joe
    Joe

  7. #7
    Silver Lounger Duchess843's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    That is your choice. There are add-ons available for IE too.

    IMO, the vast majority of users do not care about FF, FF's add-ons, or any other browser and its supposed superiority. All they care about is that when the launch the browser they get to the sites they want. Most just want a tool that works. Many tech people, both developers and enthusiasts (myself included), often fail to recognize this. We get wrapped up in technology for technology sake.

    Joe
    Amen, Amen. I wish more people would realize that. All most users care about is the bottom line (does it work on my computer)?

    Gloria
    <img src=/S/coffeetime.gif border=0 alt=coffeetime width=32 height=48>

  8. #8
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    While I very much agree with JoeP's general comment, I do think that for someone thinking of changing, a look at Opera is worth it. What I like about Opera is that the ability to adjust appearance is not based on add ons, but built into the main program itself. The changes that initially attracted me were the ability to combine elements of different toolbars into a single primary one, include and add only those icons (buttons) I want and in the order I want them, and place other toolbars where I want them (or off); i.e., make the screen functional in the way I like. To me, that weighs a lot more than the inconvenience of having some websites not look or work quite as designed or at all - very few now, vs. several years ago - and sometimes having to print with another browser, such as IE or FF, depending on the formatting (but that as often works the other way now, too). I think it's a good idea to have more than one browser handy anyway, but I know, in line with JoeP's comment, that most users are not that sophisticated or patient.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •