New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Quite a few months back, I asked this forum how to update fields when the Update Field option was grayed out in the right-click pop-up menu (Select All + F9 didn't work either). In short, I was unable to update captions and cross-references after deleting and adding pictures. A hero whose name I don't recall advised that the fields might be locked. He suggested The Fix: press Ctrl+Shift+F11 then retry the Select All + F9 method. It worked!

Today I had the same field update problem, looked up my note about The Fix, and used it. All was well, until I discovered that several Word drawings had vanished from the document (which contains both JPEGs and Word drawings). Just plain vanished. [For background, I'm a self-employed tech writer. I often put screenshots (JPEGs) in docs but I rarely draw illustrations -- however, I did for this current project. So I am no Draw expert, but reasonably adept with graphics software in general.]

Luckily, I had a backup and I replaced the drawings. The next time I needed to update the fields, they were locked. I retried The Fix and again, it unlocked the fields but vanished the drawings.

Anyone have any ideas? Can't a person have BOTH up-to-date cross-references and drawings? Gah.

Cheers,

Kelly

PS: I searched, but found no previous mention of this in Woody's Word Processing room.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redbee View Post
    He suggested The Fix: press Ctrl+Shift+F11 then retry the Select All + F9 method. It worked!

Today I had the same field update problem, looked up my note about The Fix, and used it. All was well, until I discovered that several Word drawings had vanished from the document (which contains both JPEGs and Word drawings). Just plain vanished.
    Well, if your Word drawing depended on an external file (i.e., was linked), or if it was embedded but depends on an application that is no longer available, Word might purge the object. But I don't think I've seen it myself. If you select the Word drawing and press Shift+F9, what kind of field is it?

Meanwhile, you don't need to select all to update a small group of fields. Just select the fields that you wish to update.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Kelly,

I'd suggest opening the copy of the document with the images intact and pressing Alt-F9to expose the field coding. Then check where the images are positioned/anchored in relation to the fields. If the images are:
    1. in-line with text and positioned within; or
    2. not in-line with text (eg 'square') and theire anchor is positioned within,
    a field they don't belong to (eg: ADVANCE, ASK, FILLIN, REF, PAGEREF, SEQ, INCLUDETEXT, INCLUDEPICTURE, LINK, HYPERLINK), they'll be deleted since they're not part of the range the field is pointing to. You'll need to move the images or their anchors, as the case ,may be, to a location outside the fields. They'll also get deleted from or hidden by IF fields etc if the field doesn't have the correct syntax (eg double quotes are missing from expressions and/or there is no space character between expressions).

If you still can't sort it out, perhaps you could post a sanitized copy of the document with a couple of the problem images for us to have a look at.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]