2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded Chris Pirillo's Windows 7 Tips book (the bonus e-book for Windows Secrets subscribers) and immediately jumped to #05 on page 7:

05 Minimize Programs to the System Tray/Notification Area in Windows 7

>>As with previous versions of Windows, any active programs appear as icons on the Taskbar. While this is useful for programs that you are working in, such as Word or Internet Explorer, it does clutter up the taskbar, particularly when you have other programs, such as Messenger, running in the background. These programs also appear as icons on the taskbar, when in fact hiding them may be more useful. In Windows 7, you can prevent active instances of programs from cluttering up the taskbar by hiding them in the System Tray/Notification Area. To do so, right click a program shortcut and select the Compatibility tab. Select "Windows Vista" under the Compatibility Mode drop-down menu. <<

This didn't make any sense to me but I tried it anyway and it didn't work. There's a neat little PC Magazine utility, "ClockRack 2.0" that's nice to have on the desktop but unfortunately adds its icon to the Taskbar when it would make more sense to me to put it in the tray area if it's needed at all. Does anyone know what's going on with this tip? Is it a misprint? Am I missing something? Thanks for anything anyone can add.

Thanks
    Hi Erik,

I tried it as you related, and it did not work for me. What I do for programs that I do not want to permanently clutter the Taskbar is to bring back the Quick Launch bar and set it to use small icons. That way, the only time they show up on the Taskbar is when they are actually running, and as soon as I close the program, they disappear from Taskbar. I have Notepad and CCleaner on Quick Launch and it does not take much space at all when set to small icons.

Pirrillo's tip number 9 describes the procedure for bringing back the Quick Launch bar. You can also shrink the Quick Launch bar down to one icon and just click the small arrows when you want to see the other icons you have placed there.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I use a similar tactic as Gerald, but instead of the quick launch bar, I make a new toolbar, call it Shortcuts and place it in My Documents. I then populate this folder with all the commonly used shortcuts. This frees up clutter on my desktop and taskbar. Just right click the taskbar and choose Toolbars, New Toolbar. Point to the folder you just created and click OK. You will see the folder listed on your taskbar with the >>. Simply click on the >> and a drop up list will open showing all the contents of this folder. To add more shortcuts open the Shortcuts folder and add the new shortcut. You can put as many shortcuts as you like in this folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might want to look at 4t Tray Minimizer Free 4.40. I have used it on several different Window OS's and never had a problem. I'm currently using it on Win 7 64 bit and it seems to work well. So far no problems. Just Google it and you can find multiple places to download it from.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. Maybe I wasn't clear. This utility's icon is in the Win7 taskbar when it is running. I don't need to have it there or in a QuickLaunch toolbar when it isn't running. I can hack the registry to have it start up with Windows if I have to, but its active icon still annoyingly appears in the taskbar when it's running even though it's just something on the desktop that I only see and don't do anything with -- it probably should have been programmed to be a gadget.

The freeware utility 4t Tray Minimizer Free hides both the taskbar icon and the utility itself -- removes it from the desktop. I guess this little clock utility I'm trying to manipulate is just less than well programmed and such a little thing is taking up way too much of my time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Skamser View Post
    I guess this little clock utility I'm trying to manipulate is just less than well programmed and such a little thing is taking up way too much of my time.
    Why don't you check out the available clock gadgets online? You might see something that will fill your need and solve the problem.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Why don't you check out the available clock gadgets online? You might see something that will fill your need and solve the problem.
    Yes, there's a Win7 clock gadget that's good enough, and actually more readable. Thanks.