4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Microsoft currently has no critical updates for me. However, they do list the eight (8) non-critical XP updates, and I would like to know if
    it behooves me to download and install them. Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

Non-Critical Updates

(1) Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB976570)
    Download size: 10.4 MB , 2 minutes
    Install this update to resolve some known incompatibilities in generic types using the BinaryFormatter or NetDataContractSerializer serialized and deserialized across a mixed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 4 environment. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(2) Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB976569)
    Download size: 11.2 MB , 2 minutes
    Install this update to resolve some known incompatibilities in generic types using the BinaryFormatter or NetDataContractSerializer serialized and deserialized across a mixed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 4 environment. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(3) Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows XP (KB978506)
    Download size: 496 KB , less than 1 minute
    This Compatibility View List update helps make Web sites that are designed for older browsers look better in Internet Explorer 8. When users install Internet Explorer 8, they will be given a choice about opting-in to a list of sites that should be displayed in Compatibility View. After you install this item, you may have to restart Internet Explorer. Details...

(4) Update for Windows XP (KB971513)
    Download size: 744 KB , less than 1 minute
    The Windows Automation API library contains the latest version of the Microsoft User Interface Automation (UI Automation) and Microsoft Active Accessibility libraries that are provided in Windows 7. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(5) Update for Root Certificates [November 2009] (KB931125)
    Download size: 316 KB , less than 1 minute
    This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer 7, a greater range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...

(6) Windows PowerShell 1.0 for Windows XP (KB926139)
    Download size: 1.6 MB , less than 1 minute
    Windows PowerShell is a new command-line shell and scripting language designed for system administration and automation. Built on the .NET Framework, Windows PowerShell enables IT professionals and developers to control and automate the administration of Windows and applications. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(7) Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)
    Download size: 626 KB , less than 1 minute
    Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider (Base CSP) allows smart card vendors to more easily enable their smart cards on Windows with a lightweight proprietary card module instead of a full proprietary CSP. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

(8) Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
    Download size: 5.3 MB , less than 1 minute
    Windows Search 4.0 helps you to find, preview, and use your documents, e-mail, music, photos, and other items. On an upgrade from previous versions, you will need to rebuild your index. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Thanks
    If you have no need for .NetFramework, I'd leave well enough alone. If you did need it you would know it.
    Some software demands it be installed prior to in order to function. It's huge and takes up lots of space.

If you don't use Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows XP , there is no need for this.

Root Certificates I would take this one even if you don't use IE, it may be of use to the os in general.

Windows PowerShell 1.0 for Windows XP Again, probably something to "pass" on.

Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package I don't know about this one, I left it out.

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP Offers improvement on the search and index functionality over prior search in XP
    if you use the default search in XP alot then this would be an improvement.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package is not needed unless you have a smart card (that is one of those credit-card like cards with a set of gold contacts in a square-like shape at one end; I have such a card for my employee badge) and need to use it to log into your PC or into your employers virtual private network (VPN).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Peter and Clint for your responses. I will download Windows Search 4.0 and Root Certificates.

Have a wonderful day.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Thanks Peter and Clint for your responses. I will download Windows Search 4.0 and Root Certificates.

Have a wonderful day.
    You should not be offered the .NET patches unless you have those versions of .NET installed. IMO, you should install the patches.

If you have IE8 installed, install the IE8 patch.

Joe
    Joe