New Lounger
    Thanks
    All of a sudden my CD/DVD drive can't see any disks, recorded or blank, that are inserted. I changed the drive to see if that was the problem, nothing! My burning programs and Windows Media are affected. WM doesn't even see the drive. Anybody have a solution?

Acer Aspire 1100 desktop
    2G RAM
    Windows 7
    CD/DVD LG GH22LS30

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don DesChamps View Post
    All of a sudden my CD/DVD drive can't see any disks, recorded or blank, that are inserted. I changed the drive to see if that was the problem, nothing! My burning programs and Windows Media are affected. WM doesn't even see the drive. Anybody have a solution?

Acer Aspire 1100 desktop
    2G RAM
    Windows 7
    CD/DVD LG GH22LS30
    Hi Don and welcome

It might be as simple as a corrupt driver. I would download a fresh copy and install it.

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are a few things to try. If the first doesn't work, try the second, etc.

a) Go to Computer | Properties | Device Manager. Find you drive under DVD/CD-ROM Drives. Double-click on it and got to the Drivers tab. If the Roll Back Driver button is enabled, click it.

b) As in option a), but right-click the drive in Device Manager and select Uninstall. This should force the OS unload and reload the driver.

c) As in option a), but on the Device Properties dialog click the DVD Region tab and see if the region is set properly (should be Region 1 for the US and Canada)

d) Power down the machine. Open it up and unplug the cables to the CD drive. I usually just unplug the power cable but unplugging either one or both will do. Power on the machine and log in. Wait a few minutes (gives Windows some time to notice that the hardware is gone and to clean things up) and power off again. Plug the CD drive back in. Power back on and sign in. Hopefully the OS will notice the new hardware and install the drivers.

e) As in option a), but click Update Driver and install the latest driver as Ken suggested.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like drive failure. Can you borrow another drive to test?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried all these items and still no luck. There is no driver to revert to as this is a recent Windows 7 install and that option isn't available. I even tried changing the drive cable with no luck. To make sure the substitute drive was functioning I hooked it up externally via a USB setup and it functioned perfectly. I've recently done some media program installs/uninstalls and wonder if they affected the Registry. The drive(s)n show up in Device Manager and under Properties I get the `Functioning properly`. Truly has me puzzled.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Let's consider the matter closed since I double checked both drives in another computer and found they're both defective! Thanks for the inputs. Can't believe that both drives have died.