2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I purchased an HP Laser Jet M1522nf several months ago and installed it on my XP pc. Worked just fine.

I now have a new Win 7 Pro (64) pc. because the XP was showing signs of terminal illness.
    Win 7 will recognise it as a printer but it will not scan. The HP site has been checked weekly since receiving the Win 7 pc. for driver. The printer is at status (5) which makes me think that it could be years or never HP will get around to it.

Currently I use the scan feature of the printer still atteched to the XP, save to a USB stick, then into the Win 7. Beacuse I use the scan frequently I have left the XP running 24/7. just in case it will not reboot if I do a reboot/power off.

My question:
    Can anyone recommend a printer/multifunction that will work with 7 out of the box? It must be PCL 5 /6 compatible. Easy on the toner too. I think I just need to bite the bullet and get a replacement. Hopefully the retailer will accept it back in exchange.

Thanx to anyone with suggestions.
    Joan

Thanks
    I use Canon Pixma multifunction printer/Scanner/Copier. I believe its a MP620 although they may have newer versions now. This is a bluetooth wireless unit that seems to play well with Win 7 (Have both Home Premium and Ultimate machines)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Joan, it may be a long shot, but check HP to see if they have a 64 bit VIsta driver for your model. If they do, you could download and install to see if it helps. You may not get all the functionality that a Windows 7 driver would provide, but you just might recover your scanner function.

If they have one and it works, please post so we will know. It could help someone else in the same situation.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Joan, it may be a long shot, but check HP to see if they have a 64 bit VIsta driver for your model. If they do, you could download and install to see if it helps. You may not get all the functionality that a Windows 7 driver would provide, but you just might recover your scanner function.

If they have one and it works, please post so we will know. It could help someone else in the same situation.
    Thanx for the thought Gerald. Tried that but when when opening the .exe file was told in no uncertain terms that it would not proceed until I comply with the correct O/S.!
    Looking in HP at the specs, it says Windows Vista compatible.

Joan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcirly View Post
    Thanx for the thought Gerald. Tried that but when when opening the .exe file was told in no uncertain terms that it would not proceed until I comply with the correct O/S.!
    Looking in HP at the specs, it says Windows Vista compatible.
    Try running the installation program in Vista compatability mode. Right click the installation exe and click on the Compatability tab.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Try running the installation program in Vista compatability mode. Right click the installation exe and click on the Compatability tab.

Joe
    Thanx Joe. Tried and had no luck. The screen was looking at the "network" I have the XP and the WIn 7 connected to the same router. Could this be a problem? I am very unsure about networks. Perhaps I need to unplug the XP from the internet router???
    Seem to be getting into areas which are beyond my understanding.
    Joan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You shouldn't need to unplug anything.

When the software is "looking at the network" what does it expect to see? There should be some clues on the screen. Alternatively take a screen shot and post it here.

Screen shot how to.
    1. Hold down the Alt key and press Print Screen - near the number pad.
    2. Open Paint and select Edit > Paste.
    3. Save as a JPEG.
    4. Reply here and click on the "use full editor" button.
    5. Attach the file.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My sincere thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions. It has been a huge learning curve for me.

The printer is functioning. Scanning too albeit only in image format. I often scan multipage documents which this printer could do, on the XP, into pdf's and use OCR. At least images is a start. I'll have to play around to see which format gives the best rendering for quality & readability.

One last thought. Do any of you think that loading the printer's original cd to this Win 7 pc if I set it on XP mode would work? Or would I need to be in XP mode to use it's full capabilities?

Thank you all again.
    Joan

ps. I sort of think that when I right clicked the download.exe I hit Trouble Shoot Compatibility instead of Run as Administrator. I allwoed it to go through its paces. and when asked which OS it last worked on, I thought "what the heck" and chose XP. Don't know for sure but maybe that did it !!!