Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    Hello out there all you Mac aficionados!

    I am a novice iMac user and am concerned about two things right now. One, I am interested in detecting Windows malware that may be lurking on my Mac as I have Windows machines on my home network. Second, I also would like to detect any of the rare (from what I have heard) Mac malware. I have downloaded iAntivirus (I believe I am remembering the name correctly), but have not installed it. From what I read it is an on demand scanner and will only scan for Mac viruses.

    My Mac runs so fast I really hate to install an active protection antivirus package.

    I would gladly accept any advice any of you experienced Mac users would be willing to offer. Do any of you use an antivirus app? If so, what is it and why did you choose that particular one.

    TIA
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP rory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Burwash, East Sussex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,280
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 191 Times in 177 Posts
    Windows malware can not, as far as I know, run on your Mac anyway. I use Intego as it had the best reviews when I was looking (not that there seemed to be that many worth looking at), though I understand Kaspersky have recently released a Mac product.
    Regards,
    Rory

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Windows malware can not, as far as I know, run on your Mac anyway. I use Intego as it had the best reviews when I was looking (not that there seemed to be that many worth looking at), though I understand Kaspersky have recently released a Mac product.
    Thanks Rory, I appreciate the suggestions. I will check out Intego and Kapersky for the Mac.

    It is my understanding that Windows malware cannot run on a Mac, but I have been told Windows malware can be found on OS X that can infect other Windows machines on the network. If that is not so, I would appreciate knowing the real deal if anyone has any light on that subject. I guard against that possibility by copying files to a USB thumb drive, and scanning the copied files with MSSE and MalwareBytes Anti-malware, after disabling autoplay, in an attempt to screen for Windows infections.

    Thanks again Rory.
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA USA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In general, purported Mac virus "rumors" are overblown -- concept exploits have been demonstrated, but very few are "in the wild". I used an Intego product for a while until it caused system performance problems under Mac OSX 10.4.x. So unless you are an active participant in "risky behaviors" such as file sharing or are frequenting online porn sites, you should be safe in not installing an anti-virus product on your Mac. Many of the antivirus products I have tested on my Macs (Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBooks, G5 tower) have turned out to be resource hogs -- so when the testing is completed, I remove them from my system. Bear in mind, though, that any Windows installation on your Mac (under BootCamp, Parallels Desktop, or VMware Fusion) MUST be protected with a robust anti-virus and anti-malware solution (it is Windows, after all!).

    Your best bet is to use SuperDuper! (www.shirtpocket.com) or CarbonCopyCloner to keep an up-to-date clone of your system (startup) volume, and make sure to update it before doing Software Update or installing a new application... That way, if the software patch or newly-installed app starts making your Mac behave oddly, you can easily copy your "clean" or "healthy" system (from the cloned drive) back onto your Mac's startup volume. My cloned drive is an "insurance" backup in addition to my daily backups using TimeMachine.

    Hope this helps.

    Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hello out there all you Mac aficionados!

    I am a novice iMac user and am concerned about two things right now. One, I am interested in detecting Windows malware that may be lurking on my Mac as I have Windows machines on my home network. Second, I also would like to detect any of the rare (from what I have heard) Mac malware. I have downloaded iAntivirus (I believe I am remembering the name correctly), but have not installed it. From what I read it is an on demand scanner and will only scan for Mac viruses.

    My Mac runs so fast I really hate to install an active protection antivirus package.

    I would gladly accept any advice any of you experienced Mac users would be willing to offer. Do any of you use an antivirus app? If so, what is it and why did you choose that particular one.

    TIA

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    Thanks Paul, and welcome to the Lounge. Sorry for the belated greeting. I appreciate your advice and suggestions. I am using CarbonCopy so I will update my backup regularly.

    Gerald
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  6. #6
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cairns, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    885
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am. and have been for some time. running Sophos av on my Mac. I haven't noticed any performance degradation. The only problem is that I do not think they are yet marketing a home user version. Mine came by way of my membership of the Australian Computer Society.
    Granville

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    Thanks for the tip, Granville. I have not heard of that AV for the Mac. Right now I use iAntivirus from PCTools. Have noticed no detectable performance hit.
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA USA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Granville, my employer recently made Sophos AV available to its employees for home use, for both Mac and Windows. I downloaded the Mac installer and its instructions, but when I ran the installer on my MacPro running OSX 10.6.4, I saw an error message stating "Sophos Anti-Virus can't be installed on this computer. This software cannot be installed on this computer." Any idea why this might be happening? Any insights would be appreciated. Is there an installer log someplace that I can check? Thanks, Paul
    [attachment=90369:Screen shot 2010-10-21 at 1.10.01 AM.jpg]

    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    I am. and have been for some time. running Sophos av on my Mac. I haven't noticed any performance degradation. The only problem is that I do not think they are yet marketing a home user version. Mine came by way of my membership of the Australian Computer Society.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sophos just released a free for home use version, check their website.

    I've tried Sophos and it seemed to work OK.
    Iantivirus ramped up the CPU all the time. Development is pretty much dead since Symantec bought them.
    I had picked up Intego X6 via a MacUpdate bundle and it worked well, no noticeable lag. Wife uses it on hers.
    My ISP offers Symantec for Mac and it just drug the system down to a crawl at times.
    Tried Kaspersky but found it too intrusive and slowed down my system
    Eset has a Mac version out, I'm trying that now (Windows license worked on it). Very similar to the Win version, no noticeable drag.
    Panda just released a pay for version. Haven't tried it yet

    None of these have ever found anything on my Mac fortunately.


    Little Snitch, AdBlock, NoScript, and some common sense is what I normally use.


    Good Luck!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •