Lounger
    Thanks
    In XP, you could use an external program to change the default locations when you chose "Save As". Is there anything that will do that for Win 7? I've looked at the recommended tweaking programs and they don't offer that. The reason I ask is that my preferred default locations vary according to what I'm saving: files generally go to C:\\...\Data\Current and downloads go to ...\debbie\Downloads. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    If you use FireFox, you can accomplish this with the Automatic Save Folder addon at:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4781

Don't think you can specify default folders in Windows.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that suggestion, but I don't use it because it doesn't give me an opportunity to change the name of what I'm saving. A software that's download name is, for example, 16xyxsetup.zip is useless to me. I prefer to leave Firefox set to ask me every time, so I can rename files.

Thanks
    Did you try the addon? Their web page indicates you can still use the ask me every time Firefox setting. It just changes the default folder location if you set up a filter.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    That works for Firefox but doesn't solve my overall problem. Even then, since I always save downloaded items to the same place, Firefox's "save as" box opens to that folder, so I don't really need it. But thanks for the suggestion.