Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded from XP3 to Win 7 Home earlier this week. All went well until I tried to change the text size from 100% to 110% in Control Panel. It told me to log off, which I did, but when I logged back on I got a message telling me "You have been logged on with a temporary profile". My desktop had been replaced with a generic one without most of my icons. Another dialog box then came up saying that I had to restart in order for the changes to take effect. I assumed that was referring to the change made in text size, so I rebooted but the same thing happened. Oddly enough, now when I log off my own account (which is an administrator account) and log back on, my desktop comes back and everything behaves normally. But rebooting always results in the "temporary profile". I tried restoring to an earlier restore point, but it turned out that one had not been created yet! I thought perhaps this had something to do with the change I tried to make possibly corrupting a file or the registry, but I would have expected that if this was the case I couldn't access my settings at all. Any thoughts on how to get around this "temporary profile" situation?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What happens if you create a new user account?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Temporary Profile

I found this thread which discusses your problem and has a couple of different solutions so maybe it can help I found what Marilyn-Support Engineer had to say was interesting but others have your issue as well.

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    Temporary Profile

I found this thread which discusses your problem and has a couple of different solutions so maybe it can help I found what Marilyn-Support Engineer had to say was interesting but others have your issue as well.

Hey Jude
    I downloaded and installed UPHClean. It runs on startup, so I rebooted but didn't see any change. However, later I had to reboot again and this time it worked! I'm not sure what I did in the meantime, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Now I'm afraid to change any other settings in case it happens again.

Thanks for the lead.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A bit late, since it's working for you now, but the solution I found that worked was to log in as someone else and delete the affected profile's subfolder from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

The subfolders have character strings instead of names, but they include a key that points at the user's folder so you can tell which is which.