5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using standard Win7 screensaver; nothing specially configured. It worked until recently (don't know exactly when it stopped); now it simply doesn't kick-in anymore (after the preset 10minutes); subsequently, my screen doesn't blank anymore after 20mins.

I re-set the screensaver: doesn't help. Chose another: doesn't help. Changed the time to 1 min: doesn't help. I checked my power settings and the appear to be active and correct.

So, I thought something keeps the system 'awake', to test that in the screensaver menu I chose "Preview" then I left my system alone for 30 minutes, after that time, the screensaver was still running...

Guess it doesn't kick-in somehow...

Anyone with a suggestion?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    Using standard Win7 screensaver; nothing specially configured. It worked until recently (don't know exactly when it stopped); now it simply doesn't kick-in anymore (after the preset 10minutes); subsequently, my screen doesn't blank anymore after 20mins.

I re-set the screensaver: doesn't help. Chose another: doesn't help. Changed the time to 1 min: doesn't help. I checked my power settings and the appear to be active and correct.

So, I thought something keeps the system 'awake', to test that in the screensaver menu I chose "Preview" then I left my system alone for 30 minutes, after that time, the screensaver was still running...

Guess it doesn't kick-in somehow...

Anyone with a suggestion?
    I found this: "I had the same problem, but found that it was related to the "slide show" feature of the desktop background. If the background change interval is smaller than the screen saver interval, then it will not activate. In other words, if your desktop background is set to change every 3 minutes, but your screen saver is set to activate after 5 minutes, then it will never activate. A background change is counted as "activity" by the OS."

Another user had this to say,

"OK just got off the phone with tech support. Solved the Problem..

This is what we did.

through device Manager went to network adapters and selected the network card
    right click and select properties
    In power management tab
    clear the the check mark Allow this device to wake the computer.

This does the trick
    "

And yet another: "When I first installed Windows 7, my screensaver was working. Then I discovered the gadgets and put the clock gadget on my desktop. The screensaver stopped working. I removed the clock gadget, and the screensaver is working again.

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    I found this: "I had the same problem, but found that it was related to the "slide show" feature of the desktop background. If the background change interval is smaller than the screen saver interval, then it will not activate. In other words, if your desktop background is set to change every 3 minutes, but your screen saver is set to activate after 5 minutes, then it will never activate. A background change is counted as "activity" by the OS."

Another user had this to say,

"OK just got off the phone with tech support. Solved the Problem..

This is what we did.

through device Manager went to network adapters and selected the network card
    right click and select properties
    In power management tab
    clear the the check mark Allow this device to wake the computer.

This does the trick
    "

And yet another: "When I first installed Windows 7, my screensaver was working. Then I discovered the gadgets and put the clock gadget on my desktop. The screensaver stopped working. I removed the clock gadget, and the screensaver is working again.

Hey Jude
    Thanks for your good & promising tips: I tried them all
    (1) I checked, set and reset the background interval (it was and is 30mins, my screensaver -for testing- is now @ 1 minute... didn't help
    (2) I made the change to the network card settings: it didn't help (but I left it like that)
    (3) I had gadgets, removed all - didn't help

Now I did not reboot in between (and wasn't asked to). The important peice of info here however is that when I preview the screensaver, it remains running! For me, that seems to indicate there is no external event that prevents the screensaver from kicking-in (as that same event would stop the preview). It is as if the timer doesn't work...

Thanks
    Are you using a Logitech wireless mouse? "I finally gave up on my wireless Logitech mouse and went back to using my wired Logitech TrackMan Wheel mouse (same as the wireless one) and I no longer have any problems with the screen saver not coming on...."

"Fix for me was going to MS to get the latest driver for MS Wireless Keyboard 3000. That solved all the problems relating to screensaver and power down."

Win 7 Forum on Screensaver not starting
    Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    "Fix for me was going to MS to get the latest driver for MS Wireless Keyboard 3000. That solved all the problems relating to screensaver and power down."
    I removed my mouse and keyboard far, far away from my PC... no results. Could it still be the drivers then??? Also, remember, if I start the screensaver preview manually, it does not stop. To me that sounds as if it is NOT a problem of something preventing the screensaver to start but something more fundamental

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found it... I had also connected a new Weather station which uses a USB stick to receive weather data wireless from the sensors. I never suspected this one (also as I reported that once manually triggered, the screen saver would stay activated) but when I had to disconnect the receiver one day, my problem with the screensaver not kicking in disappeared!

Now I leave the receiver out and plug it in only when I want to update my PC weather data (luckily my weather-station has a data buffer).