New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm doing a mail merge in word using access as data source. When I click in Step 3 on "Edit recipient list" I get the window "Mail Merge Recipients." Do you have any idea what controls the order of the columns in this window? It is not the order in the Access Database, nor is it the order of the fields in the document. Do you have any idea how one might control the order? I know that one can drag and drop the columns in that window, but it would be nice if the field I wanted would always be the first column. Thank you very much for your help!

Thanks
    Hi Ruth,

The order comes from the source. I've been working with an Access db the last couple of days and have been dealing with this myself. I don't know if you have any control over the database, but you can write (have someone write?) a query/view that extracts the data you need in the order you prefer.

If you'd like to go down that route, let me know. Or perhaps this post should go in the Access / Database forum?

Best,
    Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try that!! Thanks!!!

Ruthy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also note that once you specify the data source in Step 3, you can sort the data by a given field when you open the data source to edit it. And depending on what version of Office you are using, the opening of the data can be pretty sluggish.
    Wendell