Thread: Video Editing

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just purchased a new video camera and am seeking advice about software for editing video clips. As I am new at this most of my videos are pretty bad, with just a few items that I would like to keep.

The software that came with the cam corder (canon) will let me join clips together, but won't let me crop unwanted clips out of the middle. I am looking for a video editor that will display my clips frame by frame, with the option of removing the frames I don't want and retaining and optionally re-sequencing the frames I want to keep. Seems pretty obvious to me but I can't find these features in the software I have.

So, any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. I don't necessarily want free software, but if I buy something I want it to do what I want it to do and be recommended by someone with more expertise than I presently possess.

Thanks..........Derek Helling

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Helling View Post
    I have just purchased a new video camera and am seeking advice about software for editing video clips. As I am new at this most of my videos are pretty bad, with just a few items that I would like to keep.

The software that came with the cam corder (canon) will let me join clips together, but won't let me crop unwanted clips out of the middle. I am looking for a video editor that will display my clips frame by frame, with the option of removing the frames I don't want and retaining and optionally re-sequencing the frames I want to keep. Seems pretty obvious to me but I can't find these features in the software I have.

So, any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. I don't necessarily want free software, but if I buy something I want it to do what I want it to do and be recommended by someone with more expertise than I presently possess.

Thanks..........Derek Helling
    If you are a Windows user, Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft is a very good editor for the price (free !). I'm not sure about the 'frame by frame' editing though - it certainly allows you to split clips and recombine them so that you can leave out the frames you don't want.

I had some video software bundled with our video camera (also a Canon, but from about 10 years ago), and WMM is much more competent than that.

It used to come bundled with XP and Vista, but I'm pretty certain that you have to download it from the MS website with Windows 7.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The new Movie Maker Live...not so good for frame by frame and sniping segments of clips. I use Pinnacle Studio version 14 now and its very good for that sort of thing and I've heard that the new Premeire Elements (from Adobe) has been redesigned, which means it could be much more effective as a detailed multiple clip editor. I also use Corel Videostudio 12 and its not a great clip editor and I never made much headway with a trial of Sony Vegas--its probably fine but I had trouble understanding the interface right away and dumped it. The two main reasons I prefer Pinnacle is the accurate and automatic scene detection and multi-clip property changes are easy to apply (again, these two advantages may now be available in the latest version of the other software vendors products).

Most important is to be able to try out an editor if you can, especially if the video is shot in any hi-def format, to see how the editor handles the particular format the camera produces (even if it says its compatible). I think the consumer software in the $70-140 range is what it takes at a minimum to get full control of the editing process.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks