Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, background info first.

    I have a broadband router with wi-fi built in, etc - it's a speedtouch st585 v6. All works well including the wireless and my Wii, a laptop and my iPhone all happily connect and interact with it no problems.

    The issue is a PC I'm re-commissioning for the children to use which has Windows 7 on it.

    It seems that no matter what I do I cannot get the wireless to connect on the Win7 box. It happily sees the link with plenty of signal strength and even throws up the box for me to type in my wireless encryption key but it never actually connects and issues an IP.

    Tried two different USB wi-fi dongles. One a Dlink which I've never trusted and a new one a Sagem cheapy jobbie. Both work on ther boxes and both are recognised by device manager on the Win7 box but neither work to complete the connection.

    Any ideas please?

    The AP supports 802.11b/g and both the USB keys do one or the other or both. Oh and I'm running WPA-PSK on the AP as being the highest level of encryption it supports on my current firmware.

    Thanks for any help
    Stuart

  2. #2
    2 Star Lounger zigzag3143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyckhoff View Post
    OK, background info first.

    I have a broadband router with wi-fi built in, etc - it's a speedtouch st585 v6. All works well including the wireless and my Wii, a laptop and my iPhone all happily connect and interact with it no problems.

    The issue is a PC I'm re-commissioning for the children to use which has Windows 7 on it.

    It seems that no matter what I do I cannot get the wireless to connect on the Win7 box. It happily sees the link with plenty of signal strength and even throws up the box for me to type in my wireless encryption key but it never actually connects and issues an IP.

    Tried two different USB wi-fi dongles. One a Dlink which I've never trusted and a new one a Sagem cheapy jobbie. Both work on ther boxes and both are recognised by device manager on the Win7 box but neither work to complete the connection.

    Any ideas please?

    The AP supports 802.11b/g and both the USB keys do one or the other or both. Oh and I'm running WPA-PSK on the AP as being the highest level of encryption it supports on my current firmware.

    Thanks for any help
    Stuart
    Stuart

    Hi and welcome

    I think your problem may lie in the network model you are using. Homegroup is for win 7 only machines and uses IPv6. Workgroup is for mixed machines and uses IPv4. You should consider changing.

    Let us know if you need help


    Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

    Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thans Ken.

    I was sure I'd set that correctly - will double check later.

  4. #4
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    797
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
    Do you by any chance have MAC filtering turned on? I know that in my home network I have to remember to add the MAC address to the router when I brin in a new wireless device.r

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South of the North Pole
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another troubleshooting tip is to remove the encryption to see if it will connect in the clear and then apply the encyption again if it works.

  6. #6
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi all and thanks for all the replies.

    I've sorted it now - typically when I give up and ask I find this happens to me and I then find the solution!!! Perhaps I should just ask first

    Peter - good shout I do have it turned on but I had already added it as well.

    Byron - again another good call but I should have said in mu opening note that I had tried this.

    Anyway, Ken sort of pointed me in the right direction but it wasn't to do with what mode the computer was in but the fact that "bizarrely" the IPv4 protocol was un-ticked on the wireless adapter. It took me a while of digging but got there in the end - as soon as I ticked it back on the wi-fi connected and has been stable ever since!!!!

    Again my thanks to all and a thssp to Microsoft for making accessing the adapter settings harder not easier.

    Stuart

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •