Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I put my Dell Studio XPS Studio 9000 into sleep mode. The next day I hit the space bar as usual to wake it up. Nothing happened - some disk sounds but nothing on the screen. I pressed the power button until it shut off and rebooted. After initial boot screen, the disk consistency check came up. I let it run. I assume this is still chkdsk.

The screen never changed. The black screen with the consistency notification sat there. The disk light was flickering so I assumed chkdsk was running. I let it run. Several hours later there was no change to the screen. I guess nothing ever ran.

Does chkdsk in WIn7 have the same screen type of info as in XP? How long would it take my PC to run chkdsk on a 1 tb disk?

Has anyone else experienced issues coming out of sleep?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I've had that happen a couple times on a Win7 system. The only way I found around it was to power off the PC and disconnect it from the AC power source. Then re-connect & restart.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to spend time debugging this issue.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Spencer View Post
    I put my Dell Studio XPS Studio 9000 into sleep mode. The next day I hit the space bar as usual to wake it up. Nothing happened - some disk sounds but nothing on the screen. I pressed the power button until it shut off and rebooted. After initial boot screen, the disk consistency check came up. I let it run. I assume this is still chkdsk.

The screen never changed. The black screen with the consistency notification sat there. The disk light was flickering so I assumed chkdsk was running. I let it run. Several hours later there was no change to the screen. I guess nothing ever ran.

Does chkdsk in WIn7 have the same screen type of info as in XP? How long would it take my PC to run chkdsk on a 1 tb disk?

Has anyone else experienced issues coming out of sleep?
    Daivd\

It will take a bit for 1TB chkdsk. maybe 2 hours.

RE the wake from sleep. check the wifi driver. It may be preventing the wake or not allowing your PC to sleep.

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not using wifi on this machine, it's hard wired, but I checked the ethernet controller and it looks like it's configured OK.

Does chkdsk still show what's it's doing? I think in XP that scandisk would show the different levels of checking going on. I had nothing on the screen except the original warning about doing a disk check. It also has the timer to get out of doing the check, but it stopped at 1 second.

I'm going to let it run over night tonight.

How do I disable the check screen from popping up every time the PC boots?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday I did a backup prior to starting my chkdsk test. Many files in the backup didn't back up with the reason that they were from a corrupted drive.

Great...

I restarted my PC last night. After the initial Windows screen, the Consistency Check screen came up and gave me 10 seconds to hit any key to stop the disk check. I let it go, turned off the monitor and went to bed. 8 hours later I turned on the monitor and the same disk consistency screen was sitting there. I think that chkdsk is not running on reboot for some reason. I ran chkdsk on an external drive and it worked fine.

I booted into the Dell Utility Partition where you can run different system tests. I'm currently running the full suite of disk check tools. No errors so far. I'll post after it completes. So far it's been running 4 hours.

Is there any other way to run chkdsk? I didn't notice any way to boot to a DOS type prompt.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After some more research, I've discovered that there's a chkdsk bug in Windows 7. It was noted last year and never fixed. Microsoft has finally admitted to the issue.

Evidently when files are moved, they are put in a temp buffer then moved to the new location. Win7 is overwriting parts of the files with data from the temp file. It doesn't change the file itself but sets a 'data corrupt' flag which schedules chkdsk at next boot.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ......that does not sounds like a bad news, wouldn't microsoft do something about this? what if a corporation computer loses data because of this silly Chkdsk?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tang View Post
    ......that does not sounds like a bad news, wouldn't microsoft do something about this? what if a corporation computer loses data because of this silly Chkdsk?
    No data is lost. It's just that chksk tries to run every time you reboot. To rememdy this, I stopped chkdsk from automatically checking for errors. I have to run it manually once in a while.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While I'm not positive, I believe you can boot your computer from the Win7 install DVD, go to the command prompt, and run chkdsk from there.