Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello everyone

I'm considering whether to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. IMHO, the new OS seems to be not sufficiently "mature" yet, and it is better to wait for the first service pack to come out before actually upgrading.

What do you think? Should I upgrade nevertheless?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    IMHO W7 is the best os that MS has come out with in a long, long time, and 64 bit at that.
    Windows 7 works well right out of the box. It is easy to be scewed by coming here and reading through other's problems.

But it's up to you. You should take the time to figure on whether or not you have the hardware to support it and
    that all or many of your productivity applications will be usable on whatever bit version you decide to instal.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't upgrade, save your stuff and install like a full version
    As far as mature enough there was bugs in first couple months but mine is sailing now. I had lots of trouble and sluggishness with Vista. They removed the eye candy and now I approve.
    Naturally you would have to have a good PC to run it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    Hello everyone

I'm considering whether to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. IMHO, the new OS seems to be not sufficiently "mature" yet, and it is better to wait for the first service pack to come out before actually upgrading.

What do you think? Should I upgrade nevertheless?
    You can't upgrade in place from XP to Win7. You will have to do a clean install. If you hardware will support Windows 7 and your software is compatible with it I recommend Windows 7 highly. There is no reason to wait for SP-1. It is very stable - I've not seen a BSOD on any Windows 7 PC yet.

Be sure to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check compatability.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, you should upgrade but there is no particular rush to do so. Take your time and do the appropriate preparation work. The only upgrade path available available to you with the standard upgrade packages is a clean install. Meaning, you will have to preserve all your existing data in a backup form then overwrite everything you currently have with full installation followed by a complete reinstallation of all your applications along with their individual reconfigurations and importation of all their data from your backup. All this requires some advance preparation with a systematic assessment of what applications you have along with what data is associated with it. All this is complicated somewhat by the fact that some of your applications may not work under Win 7 and you may have to obtain new versions (possibly at a price). In addition, some of your existing hardware may not be supported with new drivers so you may have to replace it.

All this requires a lot of prep work. The more thorough you are in your preparation, the smoother the upgrade will go.

BTW, I again point out that generally, all earlier versions of Windows are eligible to be upgraded via the retail upgrade packages and pricing, even though you may be doing a clean install over top of your existing Windows with that upgrade package. The post by veegertx may mislead you into believing you need to purchase the full package. You do not. You need only the upgrade package.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Chet said, just get the upgrade package because you will have to do a clean install either way. And you will save a few bucks over the full retail package.

I'm curious to know why you think its not mature yet? Its rock solid and a real pleasure to use everyday. So much so that we're moving forward with a rollout of new PCs with Win 7 at work. When people post about anything on the web, its rarely to just sing praises about the product in question, but more often because they are having issues. That said, it presents a lobsided view of reality.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win7 is mature enough to where its a good choice either way. Of course here and there, few and far between, it doesn't work out, but it definitely ain't no Vista. Win7 is different and not different than XP, and what I mean by that is that you can get pretty much everything accomplished with either, but there is a definite emphasis on search for instance, in Win7, while there's more heirarchical structure in XP. I don't like the extra click or two in Win7 it seems to take to get to the same place as XP, and having to go command line to shutdown or restart in remote desktop and I don't like the Win7 explorer as much as XPs but XP doesn't have nearly the fit and finish Wn7 does.

So it comes down to preference, and just deciding to go with the new thing in town, not maturity so much (though 64-bit has a ways to go yet), unlike Vista, which was just broke here and busted there and didn't get acceptably ok to use until after SP2, which of course was too late.

Thanks
    I have to add my thoughts in the clean install Win 7 now. It comes out of the box more secure and stable than XP after SP2, in my opinion. I clean installed 5 diff PCs with 32 bit and 64 bit Win 7 and all worked super. Do NOT spend the extra for a full install. The upgrade version works very well for this. Go for it and have fun!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Win7 64 bit beta and RC version for almost a year and it has performed great. I just upgraded the PC to a purchased upgrade ($119 at Walmart), did a backup, did a clean install and restored the data. I installed the apps including the antivirus AVAST, openoffice, firefox and I don't remember what else. It is screaming fast in 64 bit mode and so far rock solid stable...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
    I have been using Win7 64 bit beta and RC version for almost a year and it has performed great. I just upgraded the PC to a purchased upgrade ($119 at Walmart), did a backup, did a clean install and restored the data. I installed the apps including the antivirus AVAST, openoffice, firefox and I don't remember what else. It is screaming fast in 64 bit mode and so far rock solid stable...
    Hey JohnQ, glad you took our advice on moving to Win 7 rather than down to XP. As time goes on you will like it even more as you learn more about it. Be sure to check out How to Geek links to tweak you installation.

rfe777, you will discover , just as JohnQ did, that you will love Win 7, as most people have. I believe that most, not all, people who have had problems found that their problems came from in place upgrades and left overs from their old OS, or incompatibilities with their hardware so definitely run the Update Advisor linked above. Any little problems that your present OS might have will be gone with the clean install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I believe that most, not all, people who have had problems found that their problems came from in place upgrades and left overs from their old OS, or incompatibilities with their hardware so definitely run the Update Advisor linked above. Any little problems that your present OS might have will be gone with the clean install.
    100% agree for nearly all MS OS's, nearly cause I never had a problem with Dos except may screw up your autoexec.bat or config.sys, allways made copies of them 2 before upgrade

upgrade disk on 7 is like a full install, actually could do same with all since 95, actual upgrade disk 95 would make you insert a win 3.1 floppy. still have here
    I don't miss them 50mhz 486 day's and I can tell by pic's here some have been there before that.