New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I run my W7-64 with UAC set to OFF and am logged in as Administrator. (Yes, I know it's dangerous). The PC is in a home office peer environment. No Domains, and most of the time is the only PC turned on.

In spite of this, I find that program changes that should "stick" just do not! E.g. every time I start Xara 5 (a graphics editor), it says that it is not the registered program for extension .web files, do I want to register it? I do, then complete starting the program. I quit, and restart and I get the same question.

Similarly, window sizes are not remembered, and other configurations. These are driving me crazy! Any ideas what could be the cause, and how to fix this?
    -paul, Down Under
    Photos

Thanks
    This link shows how to set default file extensions in apps for Vista. I believe Win 7 is the same. It does sound as though this may be a case that until you specify a certain app as the default program for a file extension type, it will always default back to what MS considers the proper app for these extensions. Once you specify what app to use in place of the app MS considers the correct app to use you should be set.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted for responding, unfortunately it didn't help on BOTH questions:

1) In spite of trying, I couldn't get the file association to stick

2) I also can't get OTHER parameters to stick, such as application's window size/position, and other settings.

I am not appreciating W7 much
    -paul, Down Under
    Photos

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried running SFC?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Szilard View Post
    I run my W7-64 with UAC set to OFF and am logged in as Administrator. (Yes, I know it's dangerous).
    Do you mean logged in with the builtin Adminsitrator account or logged in as a user who is a member of the administrator group?

There are some things in Windows 7 that just don't seem to work correctly with UAC turned off. You may have stumbled on a couple.

Joe
    Joe