Thread: Packet sniffer

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All!

I am in need of a packet loss sniffer and can't decide on which one will work best for what I'm looking to do.
    What I have is possibly a bad network card, (probably in a printer) and instead of turning off each computer and printer individually and seeing what happens, I figured I'd be better off using a packet loss sniffer to determine which network card isn't cooperating so I can retire it to an e-waste facility.
    Back in 1998, I had a program that would scan the network and tell me which network card via IP Addfress was spraying garbage on the wire.

I've been reading up on the latest freeware programs available to try and accomplish this and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for, either that or time has passed me by and I don't know what I'm looking for anylonger.
    I haven't needed a utility like this since 1999, and the job changes didn't help either.

BUT, I'm back in the game so to speak, and am looking for any help I can get!

Thank you all very much!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you looked at Wireshark (www.wireshark.org)? It is probably one of the best free sniffers available.

Eric