3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Date/Time (Access 97/2000)

Hello: I need some assistance in working with a date/time field that is in general format. I need to extract the time portion to use in a future calculation. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date/Time (Access 97/2000)

Can you split the combined date/time field into separate date and time fields? That would eliminate your problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you wanting to *store* the time separately? The only reason for doing that would be if the date field might be overwritten. In that case, using the Time() function will extract the time portion of the date. You might also want to take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=76447&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post76447> this thread</A>.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let me try to clarify what I'm trying to do. I am keeping track of computer jobs with a start date/time and a completed date/time. The date/time field is in general format. As part of the statistics I am gathering, I also need to determine what shift the job was started and what shift the job was completed, ergo, I need to extract the time portion of the date/time field to determine the shift, eg, 7:00am - 3:00pm = shift1, 3:00pm - 11:00pm = shift2, 11:00pm - 7:am = shift 3. HTH.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Solved. Since I am using Now() to fill in the date/time field as to when a job is started/completed, At the same time I use the Time() function to determine my shift. Will only vary a few tenths of a second at the most which is not critical.