2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, all.
    I've tried to change the behavior of some of the icons in the notification area on my XP Pro computer. When I go to start, properties, taskbar tab, customize, I'm finding that there is only one option for each icon, although a dropdown shows there should be other choices. Most all of my icons show "hide when inactive", instead of letting me clear them out of the notification area.

I'm guessing there's another setting that's preventing me from doing this. I did unlock the toolbar first.

If I uncheck "hide inactive icons" on the main taskbar tab, I then lose access to the customize button. It is greyed out. I am not using the classic start menu.

Can anyone tell me what's keeping the dropdown from showing other choices? Thanks. Judy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know why they aren't there but the only two other options that show up (at least on my systems) are Always Hide and Always Show so you aren't missing much.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Bryon. I'd love to be able to get the option to always hide for a few of them!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Olson View Post
    Hi, Bryon. I'd love to be able to get the option to always hide for a few of them!!
    I just checked an XP system here and the dropdown does not activate until you select an item.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Joe.
    I have clicked several items, and the dropdown does activate. The dropdown arrow lets me select it.There are just no choices other than the one, "hide when inactive" in the dropdown. Thanks. Judy

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have clicked several items, and the dropdown does activate. The dropdown arrow lets me select it.There are just no choices other than the one, "hide when inactive" in the dropdown.
    Are you logged in with an account that is a member of the admin group?

You can also try this tool - Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!. I don't expect it will help but it may.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I guess if it ain't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it. It bothers me having the excess in the notification area, but not so badly that I'll try experimenting. I just assumed that I had a different setting elsewhere that was causing it to happen. Thanks for your help. Judy

Administrator
    Thanks
    I guess if it ain't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it. It bothers me having the excess in the notification area, but not so badly that I'll try experimenting. I just assumed that I had a different setting elsewhere that was causing it to happen.
    You're welcome. If you are still up to trying something - how about turning off the notification area setting to hide inactive icons. Re-boot the system. Turn it back on and see if that helps.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Joe.
    I did try turning off that setting, and then got a grayed out customize button. However, maybe then it has to recreate the list first after restarting???? I will try that. Thanks again. Judy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which ones are you trying to hide and why?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yahoo widgets for one. No good reason to have that down there, you think?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I did try turning off that setting, and then got a grayed out customize button. However, maybe then it has to recreate the list first after restarting???? I will try that. Thanks again.
    It is expected that the customize button is not available. Re-boot and then re-enable the setting. Sometimes Windows just seems to lose its mind and you need to go through the exercise of truning a setting off, rebooting, and then reenalbing the setting.

Joe
    Joe