4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am using Word 2007. I used the Automatic Table of Contents 1, which is activated via the Reference tab.

The Table of Contents picked up items from a bulleted list, and when I attempted to delete those items by highlighting them before pressing the Delete key, the whole Table of Contents became highlightted. Hence, I had to backspace on each individual item from the right margin and then press the Delete key. It was time consuming.

How can I delete quickly individual items from a Table of Contents?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    The Table of Contents picked up items from a bulleted list, and when I attempted to delete those items by highlighting them before pressing the Delete key, the whole Table of Contents became highlightted. Hence, I had to backspace on each individual item from the right margin and then press the Delete key. It was time consuming.
    Does the bulleted list use a Heading level style? This information should be indicated in the style gallery section of the ribbon when you click in the list. If so, you might want to switch to another style. Otherwise, every time you update the TOC, it is likely that the bulleted list will be re-inserted.

If the bulleted list is not styled with a Heading style, I'm not sure how it got into your TOC in the first place. Could you post a stripped down version of the document? Remove anything confidential.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A TOC is a field which can be built using outline levels, styles or TOC entry fields. Since you haven't shown us your document, we can only guess at how your document builds its TOC.

If you reveal the field codes used to build the TOC (by selecting it and pressing Shift-F9) then you can determine how the toc is built. If it shows a \o "1-3" then this indicates that the TOC is including paragraphs formatted with the top three outline levels. By default this would normally be associated with the Heading 1, 2 and 3 styles. It could be more complicated than this but we won't know without seeing the doc.

Basically, to fix your TOC you need to fix the text in the document (by changing the styles applied), not the TOC itself. Once you have reassigned the styles, refreshing the TOC should fix your problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you used the document map with that document? The document map actually looks for heading-like paragraphs (say, short and bold) and changes their paragraph outline levels to something other than body text (usually levels 1 to 3). Those paragraphs then get read into the TOC. This has been a problem, off and on, since 2002. You'll need to modify the paragraph outline level (in the paragraph dialog) of all the bogus TOC entries and then update the TOC. You may be able to do this more quickly with a targeted find and replace. Then, avoid using the document map. --For my needs, outline view is a good substitute.

Pam
    Pam Caswell