2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everyone,

My company recently migrated to 2007 from Office XP. Among the (many) complaints I have with 2007 is I seem to have lost the ability to customize my bullets. Specifically, I hate that Word 2007 automatically indents my bulleted items by a tab stop; I've always preferred that my bullets be at the margin. Yet I haven't found a way around this except either creating a style or bulleting my list, removing the indent, and then continuing the list from there.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to redefine the bullet formatting for Normal.dot?

Thanks in advance.

Beej

Thanks
    We've had some recent discussions about outline list formatting in Word 2007. These are not directly on point for single level bulleted lists, but might be somewhat relevant: [topic=771522]Indenting Lists No Longer Changes List Level[/topic]; [topic=772228]Styles keep changing indents (Word 2007)[/topic].

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you want to control the formatting and indentation of your bulleted paragraphs, the only reliable way to do this is to use a style (and this was just as much the case in Word 2003 as it is in Word 2007).

Word 2007 does come with a built-in style called List Bullet which should by default produce the indentation you want - that is, with the bullet aligned to the margin, and the rest of paragraph block indented via a a hanging indent.

By default, the List Bullet style is hidden until used. A quick way to get the List Bullet style available in your document is as follows:

With the Home tab showing, click on the little square dialog launcher button that is at the bottom right corner of the Styles group. This will make the Styles pane appear.
    Click on the blue Options link at the bottom right of the Styles pane, and in the dropdown under 'Select styles to show' change it from 'Recommended' to 'All styles'.
    This will cause a list of all of the built-in styles to appear in the Styles pane.
    Scroll down to locate the List Bullet style, and click to apply it to a paragraph in the document.
    Now that the List Bullet style has been used, it is no longer hidden, so you can click back to the Options link, and set the 'Select styles to show' dropdown back to 'Recommended' - List Bullet will now remain in the Styles pane list.

If you do the above steps in your Normal template, or in templates that you base documents on, then the List Bullet style will be available in all documents based on these templates.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Select the bullet. Right click and select adjust list indents. Change to your preferences. I don't know whether making this change in normal.dotm will keep this setting in all new documents. You could try it and see. Let us know.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    Select the bullet. Right click and select adjust list indents. Change to your preferences. I don't know whether making this change in normal.dotm will keep this setting in all new documents. You could try it and see. Let us know.
    Pam,

Thanks for pointing that one out. One little 'gotcha' with using that method is that when the Adjust List Indents dialog appears, it doesn't appear to reflect the actual indent and tab settings that are currently in effect for that paragraph/style.

So, for instance, if I've previously customized the List Bullet style so that it has a hanging indent of .5", and a tab set to .5" as well, when I make the Adjust List Indents dialog appear, it shows the text indent and tab stop set to .25". It looks like it always comes up with those two .25" settings showing, no matter what the actual settings are at the time.

Don't know why the dialog doesn't read the actual settings in place in the paragraph, but that difference could be confusing.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Pam,

Thanks for pointing that one out. One little 'gotcha' with using that method is that when the Adjust List Indents dialog appears, it doesn't appear to reflect the actual indent and tab settings that are currently in effect for that paragraph/style.

So, for instance, if I've previously customized the List Bullet style so that it has a hanging indent of .5", and a tab set to .5" as well, when I make the Adjust List Indents dialog appear, it shows the text indent and tab stop set to .25". It looks like it always comes up with those two .25" settings showing, no matter what the actual settings are at the time.

Don't know why the dialog doesn't read the actual settings in place in the paragraph, but that difference could be confusing.

Gary
    The default numbering has its own setting, and the paragraph style has its own. Because the numbering is "direct" formatting, it will override the style's setting. (Note number styles are not direct formatting, but they still override paragraph styles). I found this MS Word team blog about styles hierarchy to be an eye opener.

Pam
    Pam Caswell