New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've recently encountered this issue with several systems, my own and multiple customers. All systems are running Windows 7 -- one was RC, two are Home Premium, one is Professional. In most scenarios, the both wireless and wired networks were working fine for months, then suddenly would not connect fully. The computer would indicate it was taking unusually long to connect, and then would sit with "Limited Access" for about a minute. Then, it would connect fully.

The issue was consistant, regardless of the computers (different computers), connecting to different routers, on different networks, in different locations. For example: I've had two identical laptops, both running Win 7 Home Premium, plus two computers running Win XP Pro, on the same network. Only one of the Win 7 Home Premium units began to fail as described above. Thus I've isolated it is NOT a router issue, nor is it a driver issue. I've reloaded the offending units with fresh OEM full installs of Windows 7, and they work fine again for a month or so, then fail again the same way.

Now, I've had another Windows 7 Home Premium system fail, but with a new twist -- it doesn't ever go fully connected, either wired or wireless.

So, this issue has occurred with 3COM, Realtek, Intel, and Broadcom wired NICs, and Intell, Dell, and Broadcom Wireless NICs. It has happened with Linksys, Netgear, D-link, Netopia, 2Wire, and Cisco (real ones, not the Linkss home units) router/switches, too.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is this only on a re-boot?

What firewall is running on the PC?

Have you looked at what is starting when you boot the system?

Are you up-to-date with Win7 patches?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Is this only on a re-boot?

Once the issue begins, it happens when booting. I don't know if you would consider this an only on a reboot issue, but once it begins, it happens whether its a cold boot or a warm boot.

What firewall is running on the PC?

Windows Firewall is Off. No other hardware or software firewall is installed, available, active, or on.

Have you looked at what is starting when you boot the system?

I've used HiJaack This 1.99 to review start up information, as well as regedit to review control sets and such. No differences are noted between a "before issue begins baseline capture" and an "after issue begins re-baseline capture" lists.

Are you up-to-date with Win7 patches?

This has happened so frequently that I've tried running the system with no patches after an OEM load as well as having downloaded all patches after an OEM load. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

I turn off automatic updates as a rule just to make sure nothing spooky was introduced. It doesn't seem to be related to any updates or new software or hardware installed.

I haven't ruled out an "infection" from a website (like those fake anti-virus malwares that come from circumvented sites), but I've not been able to isolate that to my satisfaction.

Joe
    All,

I'm an old geek, been working with computers since 1974, PC's since 1981, and my own computer/network business since 1986. I hold multiple certs, including Microsoft MCSE & MCITP, Cisco CCNA, CE|H, and all CompTIA certs (except CDIA+). This one has me stumped. Can't seem to find anything on Microsoft's forums, and all Google searchse seem to indicate issues with DHCP router packet types or Zone Alarm interference issues. Thanks again for any insight anyone may have.

May God bless,

Riley

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are not using Homegroup try disabling IPv6. That has caused some strange networking issues.

The timing of when the problems begin seems to be about the time it would take for Windows to really optimize the boot process.

Have you checked the event logs?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this problem for months and searched many different boards for a solution, including this one. One of the other symptoms will be that you have 2 networks showing in your network properties, one of which is the wrong. Sometimes simply disabling and reenabling your adapter will solve the problem temporarily, but it will return when you reboot.

Some possible causes.

If you have the Bonjour Service, which is an apple utitity and comes with many different applicables, disable or uninstall it.
    Turn off IP6
    Windows 7 has trouble finding the internet gateway. Enter yours manually. For me it was my router address.

I haven't had this problem now for a few months.

If you need more detail, try search the internet for "windows 7 limited network" "windows 7 access" and "windows 7 connect bonjour"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Other than this one:
    Now, I've had another Windows 7 Home Premium system fail, but with a new twist -- it doesn't ever go fully connected, either wired or wireless.
    Are all the issues with wireless?

I too have seen this on several occasions and it doesn't always seem to be the same thing.

In some situations turning off IPV6 seems to fix it. In other cases setting the router to a specific channel (instead of using the "use least congested channel" setting seems to help). Surely with all the brain power on this forum we can figure it out......

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One more thing, mine show the network as "unidentified" when I have this problem.