New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Kudos to Ian Richards for the "Tools to monitor internet traffic"

However, I'm interested in, not GUI, but a command line and/or scripting way in which to do the tasks mentioned in that column.

Can anyone share or point me to some help / answers / a_way_to_do_it?

My interest lies mostly with Windows 7. But I'd also do this on some Win XP if the methods of how to do it don't drastically differ from Win 7 methods.

The next is merely what I envision, solely so as to illustrate. I'm certainly open to (whatever sort of) handy way to do what I seek here.

I envision that I install Perl and use a few of my "compare" Perl scripts that I wrote. Every so often I take a snap of internet activity which goes into a text file and is compared to a master that's read only. When or if any new and potentially suspicious internet activity arises it then sends an alert email to me.

I'd like to do this with running processes as well. Record while pristine and then check and compare every so often. And, email alert if/when needed.

All of the above, if I do it, I must set up and then it must automate so that it happens on its own.

I sys admin / manage a small amount of machines for friends who do not have the time nor the computer savvy to utilize the GUI tools as per the recent Ian Richards column.

I build and setup and deliver and get them going for these friends. And, (in between routine physical visits), then it's remote (different towns) and sometimes over the phone.

--
    Alan.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Check out Fiddler Web Debugger - A free web debugging tool. There are a lot of examples of how to accomplish various debugging tasks at the site.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Check out Fiddler
    Thank you for that. It looks interesting, scriptable, etc.

I should have mentioned that I have Norton Internet Security on my friend's desktop computers which has adequately handled internet security.

BTW I wondered if the Fiddler can monitor all protocols, not just http(s)

1. Key / importantly: I like to play (experiment/test) with engineering things. Sometimes I can leverage/utilize the power of Perl (programming/script language).

2. Key / importantly: I like security (a cracker doesn't have a chance and moves on in search of an easier target).

Perhaps this post or thread might be as much or more suited to or for a programming / command_line / scripting / security forum rather than here in networking.

And / or (perhaps) create a link(s) from those forum(s) to this thread.

So, as to my original post, I seek assistance in that vein as well as somehow also tied to either or both of my two key items I've enumerated above.

Thank you.

--
    Alan.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Oh, uh, oh!, :-) I just now recalled that Microsoft, relatively recently if I'm not mistaken, provided a new way for sys admins to manage Windows boxes -- it's called a Unix / Linux like management interface, an installable available from Microsoft.

I'm a command line geek on Linux, anyways, BTW.

How about a windowssecrets column on the above mentioned installable? Anyone?

Also I just recalled that cygwin exists

http://www.cygwin.com/

Perhaps it has the power to do what I want.

I like to leverage Perl. But I welcome any and all others, not Perl related, replies. Thanks.

--
    Alan.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan C View Post
    Oh, uh, oh!, :-) I just now recalled that Microsoft, relatively recently if I'm not mistaken, provided a new way for sys admins to manage Windows boxes -- it's called a Unix / Linux like management interface, an installable available from Microsoft.
    Are you thinking of Scripting with Windows PowerShell?

It is new & very powerful. There are already lots of addins if you search around.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you thinking of Scripting with Windows PowerShell?
    This

And a commercial Cygwin used to exist that was *very* powerful, 1 use of which, unless I'm mistaken, was to sys admin Windows boxes, backup, deploy, etc. etc..

But I've been known to rarely get my creative duckys twixed up just a bit at times -- the softpanorama url I might not yet fully grasp though it sounds like a Linux Admin could manage a Win server in a Linux admin like fashion as a part of what it does.

But I want to do Win desktop.

Thanks for the powershell link.

I guess I'd better visit some Perl forums.

And/or just keep using Norton Internet Security.

But to engineer my own things is fun and rewarding. Thanks.

--
    Alan.