Thread: File ownership

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have lots of photo on external hard drives that were used under a different username on another computer. I can read, copy and delete but not write to these files. Removing the "read only" setting for a folder and all of the subfolders and files inside it does notchange this.

If i copy the files, though, I can write to the copies. I am running my computer as an administrator, yet I do not have all the rights to use these files, and Windows only throws up an obscure message to the effect that I do not have access to them when I try to write to them.

Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks
    Look through this thread, it may be of use to you.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran into the same problem with my external hard drive. I was able to resolve the issue by taking ownership of the folders, and adding permissions.

Just right click on the "problem" folder, and choose PROPERTIES. Click on the SECURITY tab, and click the ADVANCED button near the bottom of the window. Click the OWNER tab in the window that opens, and click the EDIT button in the lower left. You can then choose one of the listed users or groups ( I'd recommend the Administrators group) or click the OTHER USERS OR GROUPS button to choose another user or group. Make sure to check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box in the lower left corner of the window. this will ensure the ownership is changed on all folders and files contained within the folder you picked. OK back out of all windows to apply the changes.

Now right click the "problem" folder again and choose PROPERTIES. Click the SECURITY tab again, and click the user or group in the "Group or user names" (top) list. Look in the lower list to see their current rights to the folder. If this needs to be modified, click the EDIT button just below the "Group or user names" list. Click the user or group name in the top list and and/remove permissions in the lower list as appropriate. Again make sure to check the box to apply changes to subcontainers and objects.

Sorry it's such a long process, it's just the manual way of taking ownership and setting file/folder permissions, but it's sure to work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's how to take ownership of a whole folder full of files in one click:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty K View Post
    Here's how to take ownership of a whole folder full of files in one click:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/
    How to Geek is not up to date, there is better method works for all Admins with any language and thats what I show in my post what CLiNT posted http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...dpost&p=829724

But neither works perfectly to tell the truth, I sometimes have to resort to the Admin command prompt to do these things using cmd lines