New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to insert a field into a MS Word 2007 document that automatically shows the name under which the file is saved and its document location and to update this whenever either of them is changed?

Regards,

John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    Is there a way to insert a field into a MS Word 2007 document that automatically shows the name under which the file is saved and its document location and to update this whenever either of them is changed?
    Have you tried the FILENAME field? The updating is not real-time: the field will retain its previous value unless the document is opened and the field is updated by Word. When Word updates a field depends on the location of the field (e.g., document body vs. header/footer) and certain settings. You could create a global procedure to update the FILENAME fields in the document when they are opened, if you find the lack of updating to be a problem. If the foregoing does not address your requirements, perhaps you can explain them in greater detail.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To expand on Jefferson's suggestion, you can add the path to the FileName field.

Insert, QuickParts, Field (or simply press Alt I, F) to invoke the Field dialog.

Either scroll down to FileName or press the letter "F" until you see FileName in the list of fields. If you used the first (scrolling) method, click to select / highlight it (with the second method, it's already selected).

At the upper right side of the dialog, you'll see a checkbox labeled "Add path to filename." Click to put a check in the box, then OK out.

As Jefferson notes, the code(s) will update automatically under certain circumstances, such as when you reopen or print the file. You can update the code(s) manually, as well (by clicking in the code and pressing F9 or by pressing Ctrl A to select the document -- or doing the same within the footer, if the code is within a footer -- and then pressing F9).

Let us know if that works for you.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Further to the original request, is there an easy way to insert ONLY the path and NOT the filename in a Word document, apart from copying and pasting it from Windows Explorer?

My mob are moving from Lotus Wordpro over to MS Word 2007 and from the number of tables I see with the path and filename in separate table cells I can only infer that it was easy to do in Wordpro.

Cheers,

Perc