Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Win7 64 bit Home Premium and am unable to start Defender. The error message says Windows cannot start the service on Local Computer and recommends I use secpol.msc to fix. Home Premium does not have secpol.msc. I have also had minor permissions issues, ie, when I try to install the Dreamscene program, I can an error saying I must have admin privileges, but i do have such rights. Suggestions?

Steve Weiss

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saweiss851 View Post
    I am running Win7 64 bit Home Premium and am unable to start Defender. The error message says Windows cannot start the service on Local Computer and recommends I use secpol.msc to fix. Home Premium does not have secpol.msc. I have also had minor permissions issues, ie, when I try to install the Dreamscene program, I can an error saying I must have admin privileges, but i do have such rights. Suggestions?

Steve Weiss
    Steve hi and welcome

Secpol.msc and gpedit.msc are very similar. for more info on how to use them look here http://www.maxi-pedia.com/what+is+th...and+secpol.msc.

Admin rights ( I assume you are running as a standard user) can be invoked on a per use basis. If you right click the installer you should have a "run as admin" item in your context menu.

Let us know if that doesnt help you

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your info does not help. Windows 7 Home Premium does not have gpedit or secpol. And, I AM running as an admin, including the belts and suspenders "Run as Admin" right click. I understand that there is a registry fix but i do not know what it is.

Thanks
    Are you using MSE by any chance? If so, that's great, MSE is a dynamite app for free from MS, but MSE disables Windows Defender by default since it includes the functions of Defender already.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Steve Weiss
    As far as I am aware dreamscene only works on Vista ultimate not windows 7 of any version.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While Ultimate runs Dreamscene natively, there are install programs that load the appropriate DLLs on non-Ultimate machines. Indeed, i have Dreamscene running on my Windows 7 RC machines right now, altho every once and a while i get an "unexpected error."

But, back to my Win7 Premium laptop. Basically, i believe the Defender and Dreamscene problems are related -- a policy/permissions issue. and, when i troll the internet, it seems that there is a registry hack to resolve at least the Defender issue. but no one has identified which specific keys need to be changed. I'm not afraid of the registry, but i don't want to just blindly change entries. any ideas?

Thanks
    While Ultimate runs Dreamscene natively, there are install programs that load the appropriate DLLs on non-Ultimate machines. Indeed, i have Dreamscene running on my Windows 7 RC machines right now, altho every once and a while i get an "unexpected error."

I believe the RC was the Ultimate edition. I'm surprised your RC is still operational??? It was supposed to end sometime last month I believe.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, my Win7 RC is still puttering along. it shuts itself off every couple of hours, which actually is kinda green-ish, and nags me once a day. (i went to win7RC b/c my vista machine was horrible. MS should GIVE a copy of Win7 to every Vista user!) i'm just too lazy now to go out and get Win7. Installing/customizing/moving into a new system takes a lot of time to get everything just right. but i understand that i'll have to do that by june, no matter what. BTW, I LOVE Dreamscene, I hope i can get it working again.

Thanks
    yes, my Win7 RC is still puttering along. it shuts itself off every couple of hours, which actually is kinda green-ish, and nags me once a day. (i went to win7RC b/c my vista machine was horrible. MS should GIVE a copy of Win7 to every Vista user!) i'm just too lazy now to go out and get Win7. Installing/customizing/moving into a new system takes a lot of time to get everything just right. but i understand that i'll have to do that by june, no matter what. BTW, I LOVE Dreamscene, I hope i can get it working again.
    Using the Clean Install option and installing over my Vista partition, from start to completely done took 3 to 4 hours. Now I admit, I have spent a lot of time discovering tips and tricks and playing with the OS. This was by far the quickest upgrade I have ever done, and now I do not have the constant nagging by the OS. I have upgraded 5 PCs so far with no problems at all. Damn, I love Win 7. Go for it. Have a great time exploring when you do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Are you using MSE by any chance? If so, that's great, MSE is a dynamite app for free from MS, but MSE disables Windows Defender by default since it includes the functions of Defender already.
    Ted, you hit the nail on the head. I AM running MSE. I thought that i had run both on my other Win7RC machines, but I was wrong. Defender will not fire up now that i've converted to MSE (from AVG or Avira). I am accustomed to running more than one virus/spyware pgm (belt and suspenders). Should I go back to Spybot and Ad-Aware?