New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I originally posted this problem in the Internet Explorer forum. However, I have since done some more investigation and it does not appear to be an IE fault -- the problems below also extend to generic Windows functions, such as right-clicking on a file and selecting "Send to > Mail Recipient." For that reason, I have posted here in the hope that someone has come across this issue before -- or at least has some idea of how to resolve it.

I upgraded several machines from Microsoft Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2007. Since the installation, none of us have been able to use several functions -- notably the "Send Page / Link by E-mail" function in Internet Explorer, or the Send to > Mail Recipient when right-clicking on a file. The options are all there to select but, upon clicking them, very little happens -- the hourglass appears for a second but then disappears, and then nothing else.

The only way I've been able to get it working thus far is by using these functions when Outlook is closed. It will take a while, but a new e-mail will appear with either the attachment I'm trying to send, or the link I want to forward from Internet Explorer.

Since the original post, I feel I have tried everything. I have run a diagnostic (Help > Office Diagnostics) in Outlook, checked to see what programs are listed as defaults in Internet Explorer, checking the default program access in Add/Remove Programs, disabled all add-ons in Outlook, checked registry settings for the URL:MailTo Protocol, as well as ensuring that the default file path is correct. There are loads more -- I just can't remember everything I've tried. I've done a search on this forum as well but posts are either out-of-date or different to this issue. Google has provided a load of proposed solutions, but none have worked.

The machines are all running Microsoft Office 2007 with Windows XP SP2. Once of these machines has SP3 on it with the same results. I have installed IE6, IE7 and IE8 on different machines to see if that led to any further insight but the problem remains on each.

I'm beginning to think that this issue is unresolvable -- I just refuse to believe though that this hasn't been reported before. There has to be someone else out there that had this issue and managed to resolve it.

Thanks,

Scot.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is your Office 2007 install up-to-date with service packs & patches?

Have you checked the settings in IE - Internet Options | Programs to make sure Outlook is specified as the default email program?

Have you checked the default program settings in XP?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have made sure that I installed the latest service packs but the issue remains. The default access in XP is set to Microsoft Outlook and the same in Internet Explorer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Can you check the following registry keys to make sure Outlook is set to be the default

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\Mail
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was set as default in HKLM but not HKCU. I changed it to match the one in HKLM but still no luck. However, in the HKLM key there is a string entry called PreFirstRun with a value of "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default mail client.*Microsoft Office Outlook"

As far as I am aware, Outlook 2007 is set as the default.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you reapplied respective XP service packs? I have heard that uninstalling/upgrading 2003 to 2007 can break some parts of Outlook Express, which I believe IE and other windows systems use for email routing. Reapplying SP2 would hopefully repair those and may solve your problem. I ran away from a similar problem by upgrading to Windows 7 but that doesn't help you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, this didn't work either -- I tried it on both an SP2 machine as well as the SP3 machine. There's no change at all. I just can't understand what could be causing this... it's completely baffled everyone.